British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-16, 02:19 PM

Default TRADE or Wanted ads

Like most collectors I have looked at a number of military forums and some have the fore mentioned sections I have tried this myself with very little results most never getting any replies or being offered things you don't want
so my question is have you found such section of any use and what success did you have or not .
Old 13-08-16, 03:37 PM

After putting Wanted adverts in various publications over many years and offering good prices and/or offering to try to find suitable exchanges for items I have been after, whilst I cannot say that I have never had any success, I have obtained very, very few items this way.

The attached advert which I had placed in The Formation Sign of July 1976 was offering, believe it or not,a very good price for a Liverpool Pals shoulder title at that time.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3139.jpg (65.1 KB, 38 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 13-08-16 at 03:44 PM.
Old 13-08-16, 03:50 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Having tried this approach, I finally realised that I was looking for the scarce items that everyone else was looking for. Once I realised this, I decided that I was trying to undertake a fairly futile task. Such is life!
Old 13-08-16, 04:01 PM

Hi Gents,

I must agree with the previous replies, in that it is very rare that any requests/wants I have put out have very rarely bore fruit. That said, I always try to be optimistic. Nevertheless a recent project has me looking for a couple of rare Anglo-Indian badge but just the other day I stopped myself from posting a wants add as it would likely be pointless.

Did I just contradict myself?

Cheerio,

Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 13-08-16, 04:09 PM

I think that collectors are eternal optimists, I am going to a Fair in the morning not primarily because it is a " good" fair but because I am meeting up with some friends for coffee and a chat BUT you always live in hope that one day you will come across a long sought after item when you least expect it and it might happen tomorrow !!!!!

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-08-16, 05:32 PM

Cool The Holy Grail

Yes, we are all optimistic as collectors, if every item you wanted was freely available to buy at an affordable price I think we would all get bored and take up collecting car numbers.

It is the thrill of the chase that keeps us going.

Rob
Old 13-08-16, 05:34 PM

thanks for the replies , on some occasions I have arranged trades only for the person to back out leaving me with stuff I bought for them .
Old 13-08-16, 05:39 PM

Dee,

That happened to me once as well and it was with a Local Authority run Museum.

Peter

Old 13-08-16, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee222 View Post
Like most collectors I have looked at a number of military forums and some have the fore mentioned sections I have tried this myself with very little results most never getting any replies or being offered things you don't want
so my question is have you found such section of any use and what success did you have or not .
Sorry guys, but I have had a lot of success, this forum being the best. I find being very specific about the item you want works best.
Old 13-08-16, 07:39 PM

A lot of people on the forum will know what they've got and willing to help you out but people outside the area of collecting you're interested in probably don't have the fientest idea, I'm sure there are plenty of members who don't realise that a certain badge they may have in one of their boxes of unimportant to them badges may be what someone else has been looking for years to find, and to a lot of people who have no interest at all an army badge is just that and of no value to anyone.
Old 13-08-16, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Not this forum but I once asked a School Old Boys Forum about their old cadet cap badge. Not only did they tell me what they wore and when but one gentlemen posted me his old badge and refused payment. What a star!