British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-14, 09:39 PM

Default The South Lancashire Regiment Badge Sizes

Hi Guys,

I know nothing about pre A/A cap badges but need some info on the sizes of the two GM and WM A/A South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Volunteers) cap badges.

I understand that two variations were manufactured being a large cap badge and a smaller beret piece.

If anyone can help with measurements both across and top to bottom I would be most grateful.

The badges in question were known in the inventory as:

Large: CB 0364 - G.M. and W.M.

Small: CB 2797 -G.M. and W.M.

Regards

Chris
Old 05-09-14, 05:18 AM

Chris, its a genuine badge 42mm wide 32mm high smith and wright slider. It way smaller than the cap badge. Its the same size as every other S.Lancs beret bsdge.
Old 05-09-14, 05:33 AM

Incidently the cap badge size is approx 50mm wide 40 mm high
Old 05-09-14, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Chris, its a genuine badge 42mm wide 32mm high smith and wright slider. It way smaller than the cap badge. Its the same size as every other S.Lancs beret bsdge.
Hi Mike,

AS I previously said - I know nothing about pre A/A cap badges. Therefore, before I can convince myself your image is good I need to know what size the pre A/A badges were to see what we are dealing with here.

If the pre A/A badge is the same size as your A/A piece then that is an indication that your badge is good.

If you look at the work I have done you will see that I do not take much notice of anecdotal evidence and concentrate on hard facts and work from there. If you had an image of the rear of the badge then that would possibly be a good indicator. But all I am seeing so far is an obverse image on a piece of square paper and you saying that it is a good piece.

Although the slider could be an early Smith & Wright it could be, from the image you have, a 1980's knock off by a modern manufacturer. I'm looking for the early S&W slider taper on your image but even when enlarged and sharpened on PhotoShop it's not at all obvious.

I assume that you don't own the badge but just have the obverse image. If you could place this badge next to a GM and WM piece and show both sides of both images then that would probably do it but until anyone can provide this sort of info we will just have to do things the hard way.

Regards

Chris
Old 05-09-14, 05:48 AM

Cont.

I would also like to see dark solder on the slider and not it being the same colour as the metal used.

The reason for this is that A/A badge solder does not absorb the dye used in colouring the badges. Far all I know this badge could be made from a similar looking material to A/A as per many CCF badges. If it is a similar 'tin' material then the solder will be the same colour as the rear of the badge.

I would also like to see the maker mark to ensure it is as per period and not a modern fake. I would also want to see that the mark was applied before anodising and colour dyeing viz: without fracture lines emanating from the maker mark letters a sign that the mark was added after manufacture and would be a fake.

Mike, I hope you understand the level of investigation needed to OK what would be a very rare piece.

Regards

Chris
Old 05-09-14, 06:33 AM

Im happy its a genuine item. I have the rear image somewhere. They certainly arent made from anything other than aa.
Old 07-09-14, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

The large size is 43mm x 53 mm approx.