British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-21, 08:29 PM

Default Arabian or Africa Cap Insignia for ID - Rhino!

I am trying to identify a cap badge that, thus far, I have been unable to positively identify. See the images of the badge attached to this post

The badge is die-struck white metal, with a brass slider to reverse. There are no maker marks.

The badge comprises two palms with voided centre within which is the head of a Rhinoceros! Below is a title in blackened 'Arabic' script

On a hunch I think the badge is Sudanese (only it was sourced together with a 1969 era Sudanese Order).

If anyone can positively identify the badge, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Mark

Rhino Badge Obverse.jpg

Rhino Badge Reverse.jpg
Old 17-09-21, 11:23 PM

Default Rhinoceros badge

This is definitely an early Sudan army badge I think worn circa 1950s/early 1960s
Old 18-09-21, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your reply, which increasingly supports my hunch on the badge being Sudan related.

I know that prior to Independence (1/1/1956) the Anglo-Egyptian Condominium used the 'Rhino' on Civil / Police badges of Mongolla Province and Opia District, but thus far I have never head of a military unit from Sudan using either Mongolla or Opia in their unit name. In nearby Kenya Colony, there was a cap badge using the 'Rhino' in uses by the 'East Africa Armoured Cars', and I just wonder if the Sudanese subsequently incorporated the 'Rhino' in their own armoured units insignia?

I will get the badge looked at by some Arabic speakers to see what the legend translates to.

If I subsequently do get the badge positively identified, I will be sure to send an update post on the forum.

Regards.

Mark
Old 18-09-21, 02:43 PM

I cannot quite make out the Arabic script and am therefore not wholly certain. I think it may read Sudanese Forces but the first (right hand word) is unclear. Could you post a photo of the badge title only?
Old 18-09-21, 03:42 PM

Default Sudan badge

Here s Ibrahim Abboud wearing the badge above his generals insignia on cap, also the logo of the Sudanese governing council
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2071687B-99FD-434E-9678-01C73296F376.jpg (26.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg D4E6338D-4E45-406A-B7C0-6448EAB46E03.jpg (73.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 18-09-21, 05:38 PM

Well done Michael, Now I can read it clearly - transliterated it read jumhariya Sudaan. As you point out it is translated as Sudanese Government or, even better, Sudanese Governing Council
Old 20-09-21, 02:54 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies which, for sure, anchor the badge as being one from Sudan circa 1956-1969 - the Rhino being used in the Sudan national seal in that period.

As requested I am attaching higher definition images of the badge and the legend scroll hoping that a positive ID might be made still be made of the badge (i.e. at unit level, rather than generic).

In advance thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sudan Badge Legend (2).jpg (60.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Sudan Badge Obverse.jpg (97.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 20-09-21, 07:25 PM

Default Sudan badge

I think you have taken this as far as you can, this is a national badge for the Sudanese army not a unit badge in the same way the eagle badge is as worn today