British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-10, 01:59 PM

Default Popski badge authentic?

Hi fellow collectors,

I've had this badge for many years and would like to get other opinions as to its authenticity. Photos taken with flash so I hope it doesn't look like a staybright!

PembrokeYeo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Popski0.jpg (22.2 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Popski1.jpg (34.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Popski2.jpg (30.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg Popski3.jpg (23.6 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Popski4.jpg (37.8 KB, 302 views)
Old 25-06-10, 09:27 PM

Default Popski badge

I have a similar badge which I have had for years, I forget who or where I got it from, not an expert on SF, so I await others comments.
Old 25-06-10, 09:34 PM
Former Member

This thread may be of interest!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hlight=popskis

Andy
Old 26-06-10, 09:53 AM

Thumbs up

PPA is a minefield but my bet is thumbs up, good signs are fine detail and correct astral signs.

JB
Old 26-06-10, 10:43 AM

Thanks JB, yes it is a minefield and everyones input is gratefully received.
Best regards, PembrokeYeo
Old 26-06-10, 12:01 PM

Hi Pembroke Yeo,

You are welcome.

This is my sliver non-hallmarked badge which I also believe to be genuine. Likely Italian made.

Cheers
JB

Last edited by HamandJam; 29-06-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 26-06-10, 02:14 PM

Lovely badge, great definition. Do you know who Popski got to make them in Italy? BR, PembrokeYeo
Old 26-06-10, 04:09 PM

No I do not unfortunately. With respect to the Cairo made they are really like Jewels compared to yours and mine and of these only a handful were made for e.g. for Popski himself and 'Muscles' Wilson and Jean Caneri.

Mine is likely late war.

Kind regards

JB
Old 28-11-10, 03:43 PM
martin gregory

Default hi pembroke

sorry to say this is one of those from Aston in Birmingham, new die made around 15+ years ago. literally thousands on the market.
Watch out for silver versions appearing. the lost wax casting process being used to fake medals etc produces an exact copy in detail so fine one cannot tell. I fell victim (via my unsuspecting dad) to a rare badge being loaned and then copied in this manner. PPA would be a breeze for these guys.
Old 28-11-10, 07:11 PM

Martin,

I'm sorry I have to ask this. If the copies are so fine you cannot tell....How did you tell?

It's okay I don't expect you to answer that. I'm just in a pedantic mood.

James
Old 28-11-10, 07:51 PM
martin gregory

Smile

hi james, no bother and good question, longwinded answer:
in the case of the one the guy copied of mine behind my back, the original was hollow in part so the weight was different, but you'd have to have handled one of the three originals to know that.
i pride myself on fair experience of the original and the repro and (outside of the obscure) uk made badges are not that difficult but ...
the silver fakes of say the liverpool pals and warwicks pals (unkown in silver) offered i could not tell but it was a lot of money and BP felt too good to be true so i showed 2 jewellers that i know. the one told me straight away, newly made BP after examining with an eyeglass. another guy told me the H/M Lpals were done around 20 years ago and the loops are different to originals.
so i guess i'm saying i can't tellmost for sure.
consult experts where unsure.
incidentally a range of sterling silver badges were die stuck in the late 70's from original dies in Birmingham, unmarked mainly. i have seen these offered as original and can understand it given patina.
cheers then, martin
Old 28-11-10, 10:27 PM
Badge Guru

As the metal cools it shrinks. Obtain an original badge and compare measurements.
Old 29-11-10, 10:55 PM

Martin,

I think that when it comes to identifying the originality of expensive badges collectors have to be forensic in their approach if they want to avoid being stung.
For example there are what purport to be white metal officers Lincolnshire Imp arm badges which are in reality fakes. To the naked eye they are exactly the same dimensions as the OR's guilding metal version. But look under a magnifying glass and you will see occasional pin prick sized white metal bubbles on the surface. These are a by product of casting in to silicon rubber moulds and silicon rubber moulding is a process that wasn't in existance during WW2 when the badges were worn.
Are there any giveaways in lost wax casting?

James
Old 29-11-10, 11:09 PM

Martin,

I have sent a reply to your P.M.

James
Old 01-12-10, 09:09 PM

Regarding popski badge I can not help in the identification But this may be of general interest An old fellow collector now deceased,who had 2 rooms full of badge frames was showing me some of his collection I asked him how he knew the popski badge was genuine to which he produced a letter- Dear Mr I...... please find enclosed badge removed from my headress signed as you may have quessed by the man himself