British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-13, 10:04 PM

Default Machine Gun titles

A few of my titles for positive ID, the HBMGC/C I presume is cavalry, the HS/MGC is I think heavy section which became the Tank Corps.

All thoughts and ideas welcome.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000390.jpg (88.4 KB, 222 views)
Old 30-11-13, 10:29 PM
Former Member

Rob,
Household Battalion Machine Gun Corps/Cavalry? But more likely Heavy Branch?

Andy
Old 30-11-13, 11:03 PM

Default HBMGC/C

Andy, thanks for your ideas on this one, the title is so long that I have always wondered whether it was worn on the brim of a slouch hat, the "C" is not even centred below, which to my mind as a former designer/compositor makes me think that the "HB" was added as an afterthought.

As to whether it's Household Btn, it's a possibility with the "C" below. I would love to see a pic of the title in situ, it's happened on the forum before . . !

Rob
Old 01-12-13, 03:19 PM

MGC with C below is MGC (Cavalry).

No such thing as Household Battalion MGC; it would be Heavy Branch - i.e. Tanks pre-Tank Corps. But all photographic evidence is an H above or below an MGC title, not a linear HBMGC. Which is logical, as the Infantry and Cavalry were also 'Branches' but you never see IBMGC or CBMGC.

Not very happy with a title that says HBMGC/C - too long to be worn; the Heavy Branch did not have a 'Cavalry' sub branch. If it is all one piece I think it is suspect.
Old 01-12-13, 08:15 PM

Default HBMGC/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
MGC with C below is MGC (Cavalry).

No such thing as Household Battalion MGC; it would be Heavy Branch - i.e. Tanks pre-Tank Corps. But all photographic evidence is an H above or below an MGC title, not a linear HBMGC. Which is logical, as the Infantry and Cavalry were also 'Branches' but you never see IBMGC or CBMGC.

Not very happy with a title that says HBMGC/C - too long to be worn; the Heavy Branch did not have a 'Cavalry' sub branch. If it is all one piece I think it is suspect.
Thanks Staffsyeoman,

An interesting subject, if you look at my second post you will see my views on this title/badge are mentioned, as a former typographer the badge is to my mind incongrous to say the least. In actual fact it is doubtful to my mind as to whether it would fit across a shoulder strap, however, as this type of title has not to my knowledge turned up on online auction sites in vast quantities and is such a diverse item I will not discard it yet.

Thanks Rob
Old 01-12-13, 08:33 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Thanks Staffsyeoman,

An interesting subject, if you look at my second post you will see my views on this title/badge are mentioned, as a former typographer the badge is to my mind incongrous to say the least. In actual fact it is doubtful to my mind as to whether it would fit across a shoulder strap, however, as this type of title has not to my knowledge turned up on online auction sites in vast quantities and is such a diverse item I will not discard it yet.

Thanks Rob
Rob,
A view of the rear would be good and may encourage more comment?

Andy
Old 01-12-13, 10:03 PM

Smile A look behind the scenes . . !

Andy,

Of course your right, I just took this pic with a whole lot more when I last visited the odds and ends. Sometime in the future I will post more.

Regards Rob
Old 01-12-13, 10:17 PM

very interesting badges , Ive seen a few variations to these units, a good friend has the title that belonged to his great grandfather , it is MGC with a seperate C no backing plate though.
Old 10-12-13, 03:41 PM

Default Reverse pic . . !

Here's a picture of the reverse of the HBMGC/C shoulder title, sorry it's been a while. From careful examination it looks like it could have had new loops put on it, comments welcome.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000430.jpg (82.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 24-11-14, 03:40 PM

HBMGC/C is definitly Heavy Branch Machine Gun Corps. The best guess for this particular shoulder is that it is C Battalion, HBMGC.... the forerunner of what eventually became 3rd Royal Tank Regiment.

If orginal, it would date, specifcaly, to the 8 months between 18 Nov 1916 and 28 July 1917.

Prior to 18/11/1916 it was the Heavy Section MGC and from 28/7/1917 it was the Tank Corps.

If you ever consider selling that particular one, and/or the HSMGC one, I would be extremely interested as an ex member of 3 RTR.

Last edited by GreenTankie; 24-11-14 at 03:45 PM.
Old 24-11-14, 06:59 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Here's a picture of the reverse of the HBMGC/C shoulder title, sorry it's been a while. From careful examination it looks like it could have had new loops put on it, comments welcome.

Rob
Rob,
Looks suspect to me?

Andy
Old 24-11-14, 09:18 PM

Smile Title?

Andy, as you probably know titles can be "made up" quite easily, if this title appeared on our favourite auction site or at fairs regularly I would discard it, but as knowone else seems to have seen one as far as I know and they are not appearing on a regular basis I am keeping it at present.

Remember "never say never" with badges . . !

Rob
Old 25-11-14, 11:59 AM
Major Dundee

There was a pair of HBMGC sold by Greybear55 some time ago that was the same construction as these, they sold for over £50.00.

Hope this may be of help.

Paul.
Old 25-11-14, 01:22 PM
Former Member

That seller sells mostly reproduction items!
Old 25-11-14, 03:59 PM

Default HBMGC

Paul,

Many thanks for this information, this seller is someone who I have never bought from so I cannot comment on his items.

Rob