British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-19, 09:44 PM

Lazio, I can find no reference to a button similar to the one in your post. Also it appears that information on the Cinque Ports Artillery units is rather sketchy to say the least! Litchfield’s book only shows a Cinque Ports Volunteers button, which bears no resemblance to your friend’s button. Incidentally, your friend’s button I believe would be an officer’s button as it appears to retain quite an amount of silver plate. Best regards, David J.
Old 27-11-19, 10:05 PM

Two more buttons of interest. The first is RHA with William 1V cypher, second is same but George 111 cypher. Both no back mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0692.jpg (47.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0693.jpg (47.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 28-11-19, 07:11 PM

Very nice I only have the Victorian one
Old 28-11-19, 08:18 PM

Royal Northfleet Artillery not sure if you have this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg northfleet.jpg (83.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 29-11-19, 01:31 PM

Yes I do Lazio, mine is not as well defined but never the less, It is a very rare piece. Bidding was strong. Apparently the people of Northfleet really wanted it. I knew nothing of it untill my Son presented it to me on my Birthday a few years ago. Regards, David J. PS. I will have to think seriously on how to create an album in the forum.
Old 29-11-19, 09:41 PM

I have a Hartlepool vol artillery excavated condition
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hartvol.jpg (88.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-12-19, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazio View Post
I was wondering if anyone else had a similar button a right facing three cannon artillery button. The back is somewhat corroded but it looks like S.Firmin Strand. I would think if it was a Royal artillery issue it was very short lived as I cant find one about.
From a list of Firmin details the back mark dates from 1770-1780.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 08-12-19 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Mark, (54 Bty) Here is the button refered to in my last post. Regards, David J.
Text from another thread on here.

I & B Pearse & Co. had origins at least back to the 18th century, as Blackwell Hall factors. They were listed in a 1775 London directory, as 'Pearse & Bowen'. The next I have seen is 1790, listed as 'Nicholas Pearse & Son'. The next directory seen myself is dated 1805, 'J N & B Pearse', recorded as 'Blackwell Hall factors & army clothiers', but Peter Nayler notes them as this by 1800. The earliest directory seen myself that records them as 'John & Brice Pearse' is dated 1811. Directory listings as 'John & Brice Pearse & Co.' date from c.1839 [perhaps as a result of a change in partners; two of the five partners left the partnership on 31 December 1838 - all five were named Pearse].

Both 'I & B Pearse & Co.' and 'J & B Pearse & Co.' backmarks are found on buttons made in the late 19th and the 20th centuries.
Old 04-01-20, 04:27 PM

David (Artynut) are you still planning to post some more of your artillery button pics up?
Old 04-01-20, 10:26 PM

Hi Lazio, I was thinking that they do not seem to be of much interest to most members but on showing some of them to an old gunner a few days ago, he was stunned to see all the Regular, Militia and Volunteer buttons there were in use over the years including the former British Empire, and today’s Commonwealth. So when I’ve figured out how to make a decent album, and put them in some sort of order, I believe that would be the way to go. It may be a bit of a challenge for me too, as I am not computer literate! Thank you for your interest, Please look for a PM from me as there are a few other points I would like to explain but have no wish to bore all the membership with superfluous information. Best regards, David J.
Old 05-01-20, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Hi Lazio, I was thinking that they do not seem to be of much interest to most members but on showing some of them to an old gunner a few days ago, he was stunned to see all the Regular, Militia and Volunteer buttons there were in use over the years including the former British Empire, and today’s Commonwealth. So when I’ve figured out how to make a decent album, and put them in some sort of order, I believe that would be the way to go. It may be a bit of a challenge for me too, as I am not computer literate! Thank you for your interest, Please look for a PM from me as there are a few other points I would like to explain but have no wish to bore all the membership with superfluous information. Best regards, David J.
I for one don't mind being bored.

Marc
Old 05-01-20, 10:50 PM

thank you Mark, did you ever check my last PM to you?. I DO value your posts and comments. Do you ever communicate with a Mr. Jobson ?
Old 07-01-20, 03:38 PM

Hi just another of mine to share Chatham and Gillingham volunteer Artillery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chatham.jpg (56.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-01-20, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazio View Post
Hi just another of mine to share Chatham and Gillingham volunteer Artillery
Very nice, thank you.

Marc
Old 08-01-20, 12:47 AM

Default Artillery button

I have one of those Lazio, with lug but no sign of any back mark. Here is another of mine which in "Litchfield's" book is listed as ev10, I'd like opinions on whether there is a misprint in his description where he states the letters to be S A V. hard to see exactly in the book I have, but as you see in my photo, the letters are clearly S V A. You will also see that it is gold plated as opposed to his thought that it was possibly Silver plated originally. ( which now begs the question, if militia or volunteer, why Gold and not Silver?) Regards, David J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0780.jpg (29.9 KB, 17 views)