British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-23, 11:17 AM

Default Identifying a cap badge

Hi,
New member here - with WW1 family members in HAC and AOC.
Recently found attached pic of soldier.
Posed studio background of bell tents.
Have yet to identify him but need to identify cap badge.
Not much else on uniform to help.
Sadly, pic is low res and zooming in much more doesnt help much.
Hoping there are members who can help/advise/suggest ?

Many thanks,
OSB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap badge please.jpg (66.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 16-04-23, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Old Suffolk Boy, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 16-04-23, 12:45 PM

Welcome.

He’s Rifle Brigade.
Old 16-04-23, 01:15 PM

Default Photo

He’s rifles of some sort nothing else to help his buttons are General Service no visible shoulder titles badge looks white metal not black ended Rifle Brigade suggested by Luke is very likely imoo
Old 16-04-23, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Probably Rifle Brigade. But there are other contenders.

If he was TF (think tented summer camp) then 8th Bn London Regiment but I can't see the shoulder titles which you would expect to see pre-war. Of course the tents background may have no significance..
Old 16-04-23, 02:09 PM

I think the SD jacket is circa 1915. I also thought 8th London or RB. Regards, Paul.
Old 16-04-23, 02:22 PM

Might be wrong usually am but it looks like a studio photograph to me with a backdrop
Old 16-04-23, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil s View Post
Might be wrong usually am but it looks like a studio photograph to me with a backdrop
OP had already indicated that Neil.
Old 16-04-23, 05:54 PM

I don't think it's Post Office Rifles, the crown sits too low between the ends of the wreath. I would go with Rifle Brigade or possibly 17th Londons white metal version.
Old 16-04-23, 11:24 PM

A second thought- 1908 belt 'might' make him more likely from a regular battalion. Regards, Paul.
Old 17-04-23, 10:29 AM

Default Your helpful contributions

Thank you Bill A and all for your welcome and most grateful for the insight you have given via your comments.

The family was located all around Lambeth & Southwark in those times and I have a candidate, born in 1895, who might fit the bill.
Would make him 20-ish in the picture - which seems about right.

Re the picture, its definitely a posed studio shot because in the full frame, I can see the wooden floor he is standing on and where the backdrop sheet meets the floor line!
Its indeed a shame that the pic doesn’t give more detail about the uniform, shoulder patches or any other identifying marks.
Based on your suggestions so far, I am going to start trawling through military records to see if something pops out.
However, not holding my breath as in the case of my Grandfather (WO II in AOC) his record no longer exists thanks to the WW2 blitz fire that destroyed many WW1 records!

Am most grateful for the suggestions and a London based regiment/brigade would seem to fit.
Apologies for my lack of military knowledge but:
1. Alan O: what is ‘TF’ please?
2. Wardog: what is ‘SD’ please?
3. Wardog: what is a ‘regular battalion’ as opposed to anything else you guys have already mentioned?

I am doing this research for/with an elderly 3rd cousin who has been living in Canada for many years so hoping some other pictures might get remembered or discovered sometime!

Again, grateful for all your help guys ......
Cheers
OSB
Old 17-04-23, 10:55 AM

TF = Territorial Force (part time soldiers, equivalent to the Territorial Army).

SD = Service Dress (khaki service dress i.e. the uniform he’s wearing).

Regular Battalion = professional full-time soldiers (often 1st and 2nd battalions of a regiment).
Old 17-04-23, 11:50 AM

With the sudden need for equipment in 1914 there was not enough 1908 pattern webbing equipment available, only a couple of makers being able to make it. So a 1914 pattern in leather was produced as many leather goods companies could make it, originally for training use but it became much used at the front. So 1914 leather equipment is often seen in pictures of Territorial battalions, and newly raised service battalions. This though is not any form of set rule, and as the war progressed may well has been less so, but as an example, pictures of my great uncle in 1918 show him in 1914 leather equipment while with the 14th Battalion the London Regiment-London Scottish, (Territorials). Regards, Paul.
PS Cap is the 1905 pattern and more commonly seen in pictures from the first half of the war. The simplified SD jacket I think was only made from Oct 14 to July 15.

Last edited by wardog; 17-04-23 at 02:39 PM.
Old 17-04-23, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Good point about the jacket so the backdrop is not TF related just what was at the studio. I would suggest he is RB and most likely a new recruit either reinforcing a regular battalion or a service battalion. Although the 1908 belt is there I would suspect a pre war regular to have black buttons. The absence of titles and the belt suggest he is not TF.
Old 17-04-23, 02:26 PM

Greetings OSB.

If you post the possible candidate's details on here, I will and, I'm sure others will, have a trawl and do a bit of research for you.

Regards.

Brian