British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-10-10, 01:16 PM

Default Unknown REME?

Dear all,

I wondered if the badge in the attached scan had come to anyone's notice before. I've had it a number of years, having been told it was an unauthorised badge for a LAD REME stationed in BAOR. Each side measures 65mm.

Thank you, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unidentified LAD REME BAOR supposedly.jpg (81.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 09-10-10, 04:31 PM

This badge appeared many years ago and was said to have been worn by the REME LAD in Munster, (I can not find my note but it may have been the RSDG LAD). However I could find no evidence that the badge had been made for them or worn by anyone, all examples that show up are brand new.

The story of the man (kiepenkerl) can be found here;

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...68%26prmd%3Dmc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-10-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 06:11 PM

As a former member of REME and having served in 10 different units I have never know the LAD members to wear anything different than the insignia of the parent unit, even to wearing that unit's brass shoulder titles above REME one BD. The only difference I ever came across was in units different batteries wore different coloured cravats the LAD normally wore a green one .
In fact REME Corps Dress regulation state that attached personnel may be required to wear no more than two embellishments of the parent unit.
Old 09-10-10, 06:33 PM

In Scouting circles, this purports to have been worn by the 1st Munster Scout Group of Westfalen District of British Scouts Western Europe. The group is / was formed on a British base in Germany, and therefore some confusion may have occured due to that. I have been told a number of Scout groups on bases in Germany wear versions of formation signs, but I have no confirmation of this.
I do however know that the 1st Hohne Scout Group wore a badge which incorporated the red bordered white triangle of 1st Div, as scan attched
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSWE - 1st Hohne.jpg (65.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-10-10, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger44 View Post
In Scouting circles, this purports to have been worn by the 1st Munster Scout Group of Westfalen District of British Scouts Western Europe.
That makes more sense and I never thought of the Scouts, however the orientation is a bit off.
Old 16-10-10, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Dear all,

I wondered if the badge in the attached scan had come to anyone's notice before. I've had it a number of years, having been told it was an unauthorised badge for a LAD REME stationed in BAOR. Each side measures 65mm.

Thank you, Stephen.
Here is what seems to be a variation; it is not square but rectangular measuring 72mm x 58mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8107.jpg (98.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 17-10-10, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Here is what seems to be a variation; it is not square but rectangular measuring 72mm x 58mm.
I must look at the pictures properly, this is the one I was writing about at the start. So now it looks like it could be an error, but still not for whom it was reported.
Old 18-10-10, 07:29 AM

I have it as REME LAD Attached QRIH, info came in an old copy of Military Heraldry Society bulletin.
Old 23-03-23, 02:54 PM

Can confirm this was worn as a scarf badge for 1st Münster Scout Group - I was a member in the early 1990s.