British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-05-20, 06:30 PM

Default Guernsey CI RASC cloth title

I have just acquired this title, which obviously says who wore it. However, does anyone have any further information on it, please?
Was there a particular numbered RASC unit which wore it? I assume it was a TA Unit rather than Regular Army?
Does anyone know when it would have been worn?
Any information would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img0139.jpg (32.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 20-05-20, 11:06 AM

Default Guernsey CI RASC cloth badge

Dear Badger 44.

I* do not have the actual answer to your question I am afraid but a suggestion that may throw a little light on the matter.

I joined the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Corps of Signals back in January 1964.

In our first three months of training (Junior Wing) we did not have No 2 Dress but were issued with BD Blouses and Trousers. As someone who came from Jersey in the Channel Islands I was permitted to wear cloth shoulder titles (On the BD Blouse only) with the wording Royal Signals underneath I was permitted to wear the word Jersey.

This only lasted for the very short period of time before we had the Battle Dress taken away and No 2 Dress issued. No cloth titles on the No 2 Dress.

Just a suggestion but my training was at Denbury Camp, South Devon. I do know there was a Junior Leaders Regiment Camp at I think it was Norton Manor Barracks, Taunton. for RASC junior soldiers. We played hockey against them I recall. Is there a possibility that the Junior Leaders RASC were permitted to wear the Channel Island flash as you mention.

Not a specific answer I know but just a suggestion.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges@gmail.com
Old 20-05-20, 11:09 AM

This title which has been around for years has never been satisfactorily identified. No one has been able to establish if an RASC unit of any sort was ever based on the island and no worn examples have been recorded. This extract from my book Badges on Battle Dress explains some likely background to this badge.

On several occasions soldiers from the Channel Islands, where the National Service Act did not apply, sought permission to wear an arm title indicating that they were volunteers. In June 1955 the Greenjackets Depot asked if recruits from the Channel Islands enlisting as Greenjackets Regulars be permitted a ‘Jersey’ or ‘Guernsey’ titles but it was not permitted. After a letter to Soldier magazine reported seeing a soldier wearing ‘Jersey’ Soldier replied that ‘Flashes showing the country of origin are no longer allowed’. Six years later a volunteer who was born and joined up in Guernsey told Soldier he put a ‘Guernsey’ flash on his uniform but was told to take it down . ‘The flash may have ceased to be a quartermaster’s issue’ he wrote ‘but it is still possible to buy it from any shop’ . The easy availability of unofficial Channel Islander flashes may account for the long-unexplained ‘Guernsey C.I/RASC’ and for a similar ‘Channel Islands’ title.
Old 20-05-20, 05:23 PM

Two more examples of unofficial Channel Islands titles.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jersey title.jpg (39.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Channel Islands jersey red M Shields.jpg (89.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 20-05-20, 06:19 PM

Thank you Chris and Jon,
It's good to have some information on the title, so I appreciate both of your comments. I will make notes on both, so that at least I have that as back up information.
Thanks again.
Fred