British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-11, 02:23 AM

Default Nanaimo Independant Coy of Inf

Bill and I were talkin about the CEF badge project and the Nanaimo badge came up in the conversation. I seem to remember reading somewhere that even though the badge is in the Militia book (Mazeas) it has some connection to the CEF. Can anyone out there shed some light on this???
Old 09-03-11, 12:08 PM

They were militia.
My notes have them as being authorized 1 May 1914 and disbanded in 1920.
GO 30, 1920 lists the Nanaimo Independent Company of Infantry with the units of Military District 11, and one of two units disbanded that year.
The badges are rather crudely made.
I have two in my album. Not great shots.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...pictureid=4517

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 09-03-11 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Phil, So, it was raised just prior to the war, and only had wartime service in Canada.
Any idea of the strength(s) of the unit?
Old 09-03-11, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Phil, So, it was raised just prior to the war, and only had wartime service in Canada.
Any idea of the strength(s) of the unit?
I don't imagine it was very big.
1. According to one source, it was raised during the coal miner strikes in Nanaimo. In light of that, I don't imagine there were many people willing to join up and face the wrath of their neighbours.
2. For most of the unit's existence there was a war on, so able bodied men would be at war or employed in essential services. The main industries in the Nanaimo area would have been coal mining and forestry.

Perhaps compare them to the 68th Earl Grey's Own Rifles (raised in 1910).
Both located in small towns on the coast, resource based industries and most years of their existence overlapping the First World War. And the badges are rare.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 10-03-11 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-03-11, 10:36 PM

So if it was Militia and did not supply a CEF Bn with manpower, having the badge associated with the CEF is not correct - then?
Old 09-03-11, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLWill View Post
So if it was Militia and did not supply a CEF Bn with manpower, having the badge associated with the CEF is not correct - then?
It was strictly a Militia unit. I do not know if they supplied the CEF with drafts, or contributed large numbers of men to particular battalions.
As an example, you would not include a 107th East Kootenay badge with your CEFs. They were a militia unit even though they supplied troops to the 54th and 225th Battalions.

Phil
Old 10-03-11, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
They were militia.
My notes have them as being authorized 1 May 1914 and disbanded in 1920.
GO 30, 1920 lists the Nanaimo Independent Company of Infantry with the units of Military District 11, and one of two units disbanded that year.
The badges are rather crudely made.
I have two in my album. Not great shots.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...pictureid=4517

Phil
I believe we have the same info!

I did put a blurb up when someone else challenged this! :

For those who are interested in clarification go to my photo album and look up the badge! The info there will clear the air and all will be revealed!

Last edited by mad4thcef; 10-03-11 at 12:14 AM. Reason: reference found with smal write up!
Old 10-03-11, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4thcef View Post
I believe we have the same info!

I did put a blurb up when someone else challenged this! :
Follow this thread to see where you suggested that it was a CEF badge.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hlight=nanaimo

"No 1 Independant Infantry Coy"

"These are seldom seen and are a sleeper badge amongst the CEF badges!"

Were you refering to (No 1) Jewish Infantry Company, or the Nanaimo Independent Company of Infantry?

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 10-03-11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-03-11, 11:43 AM

I get the point concerning the 107th and 68th BN (Militia). Babin does call for a badge for the "1st Independent Inf Coy" but also states that the badge has never been seen. If he was referring to this unit (was there another with the title?) then the image should stay in the CEF listings, if this is not the Unit the image could be moved to the Pre 1914 project.
Old 10-03-11, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLWill View Post
I get the point concerning the 107th and 68th BN (Militia). Babin does call for a badge for the "1st Independent Inf Coy" but also states that the badge has never been seen. If he was referring to this unit (was there another with the title?) then the image should stay in the CEF listings, if this is not the Unit the image could be moved to the Pre 1914 project.
I cannot say what the late Mr Babin was referring to.
In the Charlton book on CEF infantry badges, under Independent Infantry Companies, there is a (No 1) Jewish infantry Company and a Yukon Infantry Company. No mention of Nanaimo. Given the people consulted for that particular publication, I hope that you will agree that there is less chance of error than with the Babin book.
With what I know about the Nanaimo unit (which isn't much, but possibly more than most people given my interest in BC units) it should not be with the CEFs, and should go into the Pre 1914 project.
I don't know what else to tell you.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 10-03-11 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-03-11, 04:59 PM

GO 80a 1914 gives the authorization of an independent company of infantry, localized at Nanaimo, BC effective 1 May 1914.
The Militia Lists for the war years show an independent company of infantry in Nanaimo under the command of Captain Carpenter. The company was part of Military District 11, along with the other more familiar militia units in BC. There is no mention of CEF units in these sections of the Militia List.
I can post scans of the relevent pages if necessary.

Phil
Old 10-03-11, 06:12 PM

No need to post the pages, except of course for general interest. There are people out there that collect the GO's.

Well Bill!! This seems to conclude the discussion. Some excellent points were made, it still amazes me the depth of knowledge "out there" and the willingness to share this knowledge with others.

We could put a note on the badge (much like the notations in the Cross books) stating that while the badge is noted in the Babin reference it is assumed that the badge is strictly a Militia period badge. Or we could move it to the pre-1914 section.

My suggestion is leave it in both - Have it clearly noted in the CEF section that it is doubtful that the badge is CEF but is included only because it is called for in the Babin reference. Have it in the _re-1914 section under its assigned Mazeas reference.
Old 10-03-11, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Good discussion. More is better than less, and your suggestion to post in both galleries with a cross ref sounds good.
Old 10-03-11, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Follow this thread to see where you suggested that it was a CEF badge.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hlight=nanaimo

"No 1 Independant Infantry Coy"

"These are seldom seen and are a sleeper badge amongst the CEF badges!"

Were you refering to (No 1) Jewish Infantry Company, or the Nanaimo Independent Company of Infantry?

Phil
The comment refers to the No.1 Independant Infantry Coy.

Cheers
Rob
Old 11-03-11, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I should review my references more carefully. The Nanaimo badge is not identified as the No 1 in Babins. (I should read the posts more carefully as well.) And it isn't included in Charlton. On thinking this over, the Nanaimo badge is really a militia badge, and as it is clearly not a CEF badge, it should not be included in the CEF galleries.
Thanks for the suggestion to re-think this Phil.

Tags
nanaimo