British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-11, 05:26 PM

Default Canadian Badge help please

Hi
I have picked up this Canadian badge and would like to know any info about date.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canada.jpg (35.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Canada 1.jpg (37.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-03-11, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Rob, The badge is to the Vandoo's, the Royal 22é Régiment. It is king's crown, dating it to between 1915 and 1952ish. The crown tip is broken off. Your badge appears to have been gilted at one time, which would indicate an officer's badge.
The unit was formed early in the First World War, and there are two patterns of badges for the CEF battalion. The pattern without the numerals is shown in the CEF Gallery, http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...ce/cef_e22.htm. The pattern with numerals has the white metal / silver overlay is identified as officer's, CEF period. Post war the badge was made in white metal and brass, for the other ranks, and in other finishes for officer's, including osd/overlay and gilt/silver. There is also a badge for the bearskin, which I believe is a bit larger than the standard issue badge.
Old 06-03-11, 05:58 PM

Hi Bill
Thanks so much for your invaluable info, can I ask what sort of value the badge is worth as I do know someone who could repair the top of the crown but am wondering whether it will be worth the cost but I would like to return it to it's orginal condition.

Thanks

Rob
Old 06-03-11, 06:49 PM

This badge averages about $25-$30 CDN, so I don't think it would be worth the repair effort for the crown repair. As for 'original condition', there are quite a few 'clipped crown' badges, with the cross on the crown broken off or occasionally just bent back. Common theory is that Masons did this to ID themselves.

PS: looking more carefully your the pic. again, this looks like WWI not WWII vintage (overlay goes up over crown as well), so toss out my values, which are for the latter. Charlton valued the WWI badge around $50 mint, so they are, I'd guess, running a bit more than that. The comment re the crown remains.

Last edited by DavidS; 06-03-11 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 06-03-11, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
This badge averages about $25-$30 CDN, so I don't think it would be worth the repair effort for the crown repair. As for 'original condition', there are quite a few 'clipped crown' badges, with the cross on the crown broken off or occasionally just bent back. Common theory is that Masons did this to ID themselves.

PS: looking more carefully your the pic. again, this looks like WWI not WWII vintage (overlay goes up over crown as well), so toss out my values, which are for the latter. Charlton valued the WWI badge around $50 mint, so they are, I'd guess, running a bit more than that. The comment re the crown remains.
Hi David
Thanks for taking time to post and for the info, very pleased with the valuation which I am guessing around £40 and the fact it's WW1 vintage as I have a few Canadian badges now from WW1m

Cheers

Rob
Old 07-03-11, 01:30 AM

Rob,
I think what you've got is the busby badge. These are a bit larger than the conventional cap badge, have an imperial crown rather than a king's crown, & have no overlay on the crown.
I'm not a CEF collector, but I'm skeptical that this is a WWI era piece.