British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-04-11, 03:44 PM

Default Varieties 111th Bn South Waterloo Hemsley Tiptaft

For those that are interested.

Here are the variants of the 111th Bn CEF South Waterloo. They are only slight variants IMHO.

These are not presently in the CEF gallery.

The images attached are from my collection as are the previous images posted showing the varieties.

I dont want to quote charlton word for word but using Charlton discrepencies do arise.

This is a perfect example of that.

E-111 Officers Cap Badge Silver Plate Rhodium Plated Not listed in Charlton Tiptaft NMM Narrow Numerals measuring approx 1.44mm, Lugs.

E-111 Officers Collar Badge Solid Sterling Silver Tiptaft but not maker marked. Narrow Numerals Pinback. Image name is incorrect but is marked sterling.

E-111 Officers OSD (Chocolate) Cap Badge Not listed in Charlton Tiptaft but maker marked Narrow Numerals measuring approx 1.44mm Although the image shows otherwise it is OSD. Lugs. This is a superior strike the image for some reason doesn't give it justice!

E-111 Officers Collar Badge Pickled Copper Silver Thistle Overlay Wide Numerals Possibly Hemsley but not maker marked.Lugs.

E-111 OR's Cap Badge Pickled Brass Wide Numerals approx 1.46mm Hemsley but not maker marked.Lugs.

E-111 OR's Cap badge Pickled Copper Wide Numerals approx 1.46mm Hemsley but not maker marked. Front and back.Lugs.

E-111 OR's Collar Badge Pickled Copper Wide Numerals Hemsley but not maker marked.

Note as for Charlton it notes that the ribbon is not framed on Hemsley/Inglis and ribbon is framed on Tiptaft . I personally dont see the difference.

What I do see that there is more of a space below the numerals and the Canada banner on the Hemsley/Inglis than on the Tiptaft variety.

I have not seen any Inglis made badges and would not know the differences the only possiblity is dies were used by Inglis for Hemsley or vice versa

Measurements are done using a electronic caliper and my failing eyes (olde age.

Please feel free to disregard the above information!

Thanks for looking

Rob
Old 17-04-11, 02:18 PM

Nice set of badges Rob. Can you post a pic of the back of the OSD badge?

I have seen sellers on ebay stating that any chocolate brown badges are OSD but surely that is not the case? The chief indicator should be superior construction?

Cheers, Ian.
Old 17-04-11, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
Nice set of badges Rob. Can you post a pic of the back of the OSD badge?

I have seen sellers on ebay stating that any chocolate brown badges are OSD but surely that is not the case? The chief indicator should be superior construction?

Cheers, Ian.
Hello Ian,

Thanks for the kudos I got the officers silver plate from a old time collector who has passed way. I got it back in 1997.

I can do that for you however I am at work so the earliest will be Tues evening!

I am at work right now!

Cheers
Rob