British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-02-09, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Royal Regiment of Canada

The Royal Regiment of Canada used the blue and scarlet colours, which were entitled to units designated "Royal". However there are two versions of the title, the common pattern the scarlet on royal blue. There is a reversed colours version as well, royal blue on scarlet. Several reasons have been advanced for the reverse pattern. Does anyone have the definitive explanation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.jpg (73.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.jpg (40.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 28-02-09, 09:26 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

The reason? I don't know, but I thought the blue on scarlet background is or was post war. No?
Old 28-02-09, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ray, I have a pic of a fellow wearing the blue on scarlet title, and he is a WW2 soldier.
Old 28-02-09, 10:57 PM

Bill, what were the reasons that were given for the reverse colour.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 05-03-09, 05:16 PM

Default Royal blue on scarlet

Hello Bill

It has always been my understanding that the royal blue on scarlet version of the title is post war and I don’t believe it was worn for long. I have never seen or heard any evidence to the contrary until now. I think I recall a Royal telling me he had worn the royal blue on scarlet in the late 70's early 80's but I can't be sure. I will try some of my contacts close to the Regiment and see if I can get a definitive answer on this. I would be very interested in seeing the picture you mentioned. Have you ever come across a royal blue on scarlet title that appears to be WWII period manufactured?

Cheers,

James

Last edited by James S; 20-03-11 at 06:02 PM.
Old 13-03-11, 07:21 PM

Default Blue on Scarlet Titles

I served with the Royals from the early 1960s to the early 1970s. I have heard of the blue on scarlet titles referred to as the '1958 pattern', but I wasn't serving that early, so I can't say with any certainty that they didn't exist prior to that. The Royals militia regiment (battalion strength) wore the red on scarlet titles on the battledress tunic, tropical worsted jacket, and bush jacket from the time I joined, until the CF dress green uniform was phased in, starting in about 1970. The cadet corps continued to wear the wartime scarlet on blue titles on their battledress tunics.