British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-12, 05:21 PM

Default Chromed RAF badge

Hi All
This is a standard KC OR's cap badge which has been chromed. Was this ever worn like this or maybe privately done? Any info appreciated, thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08581.jpg (93.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08582.jpg (70.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-03-12, 06:33 PM

Bandsman? I know the RCAF wore chromed/silvered OR's badges for the band
Old 11-03-12, 09:48 PM
Banned

Certainly worn. I have one and a set of tunic buttons. I have always heard they were for the RAF Halton Band but I've never had that confirmed.
Old 12-03-12, 02:14 AM

In my collection I have examples of RAF. RAAF and RCAF silvered versions as well as buttons. I believe they are all used by Bands but have been unable to ascertain the time periods, other than the buttons show the Kings Crown.
Old 12-03-12, 03:57 PM

Hi Guys
Thanks for the answers.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 12-03-12, 10:35 PM
Banned

RAF, RCAF, RNZAF and RAAF used them, but the only one who officially seems to have issued them as such were the RCAF. I have a friend who used to be uniforms curator at the Australian War Memorial and even he has found nothing on the RAAF use.

I have all four with buttons for the first three, although the only difference between standard RAF and RAAF is usually the material, the latter not having any letters on course.
Old 18-03-12, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
RAF, RCAF, RNZAF and RAAF used them, but the only one who officially seems to have issued them as such were the RCAF. I have a friend who used to be uniforms curator at the Australian War Memorial and even he has found nothing on the RAAF use.

I have all four with buttons for the first three, although the only difference between standard RAF and RAAF is usually the material, the latter not having any letters on course.
These plated badges were worn on glengarries by the RAF voluntary pipe bands in the RAF, RCAF, RAAF & RNZAF. As far as I know, they only exist as KC versions. The City of Edinburgh 603 Bomber Squadron & City of Glasgow 602 Bomber Squadron pipe bands had specific squadron pipe band badges in brass.
Old 19-03-12, 05:45 AM

Hi Jamyan
That's very interesting, especially considering I am a collector of piper's badges! Do you have any more info, were they worn with backings, have you any photos of them being worn?
Thanks. Cheers,
Alex