British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-19, 02:49 PM

Default Hampshire / Royal Hampshire Regiment Coloured Field Service Cap.

I purchased this cap as a "Royal Scots Grey's" one, not because I particularly wanted a RSG one but because that was what it came badged as.
Although these items are private purchase and can vary in detail concerning colours of fabric and piping, the RSG cap is shown with a dark blue rather than yellow crown and yellow piping only around the rim of the crown in "Regimental Badges and Service Caps" (George Philip & Son Ltd, 1941), or 1937 Coloured Field Service Cap, Regimental & Corps Distinctions" (Timothy J. Reese, 2012).
The pattern I'm showing appears in both publications as RAPC, Royal Hampshire Regiment, and in Reese's book also as 3rd Carabiniers although Phillip's shows the Carabiniers as having a yellow body rather than dark blue.
I believe that the yellow of the RAPC is a paper yellow than the golden yellow of this cap, more of a primrose as shown in Jerry's recent posting.
As there was already a slit for a slidered badge on this cap I've stuck a Hants Regt badge on it as Hampshire's or Royal Hampshire's is what it should be.
Does the cap look too "new" to be Hants rather than R Hants?
I suspect that it does?
Should the Hants / R Hants cap be black and yellow rather than dark blue and yellow?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190307_090705870~3.jpg (16.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190307_090525154~2.jpg (17.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190307_090509398~2.jpg (19.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190307_090644317_HDR~2.jpg (39.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190307_090635718~2.jpg (19.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190307_090607589~3.jpg (23.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190307_090722690~2.jpg (21.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-03-19, 08:29 PM

Hi Leigh, Brian L Davis's book British Army Uniforms & Insignia of World War Two has 3 pages on the regiments & corps coloured field service cap, 135, 136 & 137. Number 74 The Hampshire Regiment has yellow crown, dark blue body, dark blue peak, dark blue curtain, & yellow Gld curtain piping. regards John
Old 09-03-19, 08:50 PM

Hi Leigh, Just for your interest Number 7 the 3rd Carabiniers, yellow crown, yellow Gld crown piping, dark blue body, dark blue peak, dark blue curtain, &yellow Gld curtain piping. so the crown piping is the difference between the 2 regiments the Hampshire's not having any crown piping, and yellow Gld in the 3rd Carbiniers. hope that helps. regards John PS. Royal Scots Greys crown is dark blue. and yes RAPC is quoted as "Primrose yellow"

Last edited by cavalryman; 09-03-19 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added RSG's & RAPC
Old 09-03-19, 09:23 PM

Thanks for that, I'll read up on the BL Davis detail you've provided.
I didn't mention his book as his list of CFSCs appears to have been drawn up from the Philips booklet but I should really check through all of the entries in both to see how they tally.
So at the moment - Hants / R Hants seems to fit the bill?

I had an idea that black and yellow were "the colours" of the R Hants Regt and might really be those of their CFSC as I once served with a couple of R Hants who called wasps and bees "regimental flies" due to their colours.
Not exactly good evidence concerning CFSCs I suppose.
Old 09-03-19, 10:08 PM

Default The Hampshire/Royal Hampshire Regiment

Hi Leigh, You are correct in the regimental colours being black/yellow, a quick google search reveals a visit by Princess Diana who is wearing a black regimental hoodie with yellow stripe. also Minden Militaria has 2 cloth shoulder titles one being a slip on the other an arc shape but both are yellow lettering on black backgrounds. so maybe blue is wrong after all. regards John
Old 10-03-19, 07:35 AM

Thanks - yet another item of headgear I have that raises questions. It seems to follow that the CFSC would be black rather than dark blue, though not necessarily, and any reference I find shows blue not black.