British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-02-19, 05:46 AM

Default VIC title

Hello gentlemen,

I've had this title for many years, early 1990s. Did have a pair but the other was minus its lugs and I eventually got rid of it.

Well made, probably Stokes but not maker marked. Pickled brass, with round wire eye shanks (lugs) from the period around Federation.

Got it from Jeff C who always said this was worn with Australian Field Artillery (AFA) and Australian Garrison Artillery (AGA) shoulder titles, apparently his info came from Bob Gray.

I completely dispute that, AFA and AGA units in Victoria and Tasmania generally wore curved titles with the numeral fixed to the top of the letters between 1907-1921.

Is it one of the Victorian contingents to the Second Anglo-Boer War or something else, perhaps non-military?

Cheers, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0231.jpg (24.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 25-02-19, 08:43 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Keith

That's nice but Ive never seen one, I do have the 2 AFA and AGA titles which came from Castle Militaria many years ago.

Sorry I cant help with the VIC but its nice to see it.

Regards

Phil.
Old 25-02-19, 09:28 AM

Thanks Phil,

Yes, a bit of a mystery, I've never seen one since.

Keith
Old 25-02-19, 11:50 AM

Default VIC Shoulder Title

Hello Keith,

I have two of these VIC titles, which I believe are military shoulder titles and relate to the Victorian Imperial Contingents who saw service in the Second Anglo Boer War.

I have placed one of the VIC titles next to a VMR shoulder title, so you can see the similarity of the round lugs.

If I remember correctly in the reprint of the book "Records Of Australian Contingents To The War In South Africa 1899 - 1902" it mentions the 4th Victorian Imperial Contingent (VIC). So, it's a possibility that these VIC titles were made during this time period.

Cheers,

Invest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book - Australian Contingents Boer War 1899 - 1902.jpg (49.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg VIC shoulder title (1).jpg (27.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg VIC shoulder title (2).jpg (25.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg VIC shoulder title (3).jpg (20.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg VIC and VMR shoulder titles.jpg (25.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg VMR shoulder title (1).jpg (24.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg VMR shoulder title (2).jpg (25.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg VMR shoulder title (3).jpg (20.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 25-02-19, 06:30 PM

Thanks Jason, I think that's probably close to the mark. I'll have a look at the Victorian Government Gazette and see if they have any 'Contracts Accepted' for the Boer War contingents that might describe the badge. Cheers, Keith
Old 21-02-23, 02:52 AM

Hello Keith,
This is an old thread but I was wondering if you have a list of the various state artillery units (or where I would find it) and their associated numbers i.e. 11/AFA, 3/AGA etc etc. I have several of these titles and I would like to put numbers to States. Pic attached
I also understand that the RAA titles at bottom of the pic (separate letters soldered to horizontal bars) are not Australian? but possibly Royal Artillery Association??
Thanks Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Hello gentlemen,

I've had this title for many years, early 1990s. Did have a pair but the other was minus its lugs and I eventually got rid of it.

Well made, probably Stokes but not maker marked. Pickled brass, with round wire eye shanks (lugs) from the period around Federation.

Got it from Jeff C who always said this was worn with Australian Field Artillery (AFA) and Australian Garrison Artillery (AGA) shoulder titles, apparently his info came from Bob Gray.

I completely dispute that, AFA and AGA units in Victoria and Tasmania generally wore curved titles with the numeral fixed to the top of the letters between 1907-1921.

Is it one of the Victorian contingents to the Second Anglo-Boer War or something else, perhaps non-military?

Cheers, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 2019 2019-03-23 016.jpg (35.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 21-02-23, 04:54 AM

The numbers on the artillery titles have always been a mystery to me as well.
As far as I am aware, the separate R A A letters attached to brass bars are Royal Artillery Association. Apparently their members wore a uniform and were employed in the capacity of Commissionaires. I believe we had a separate post about these some years ago.