British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-08, 09:55 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate L View Post
Before today I had never heard of sweetheart badges, and I'm curious to know more.
When my mother died recently, we found an RAF brooch badge in her posession. We assumed that it was some kind of dress badge, but having just searched for photos, I've discovered that it is a 'sweetheart' badge. The badge is very likely this one: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/britai...etheart5.shtml except that the central RAF lettering is in royal blue, not red.
I gather that sweetheart badges were bought by the serviceman for their nearest and dearest, but I can find little more about this. I'm intrigued, as my father didn't meet my mother until some years after he was demobbed (he served ca 1942-1946/7 and they met in 1951). Where would he have bought the badge from? Would he have bought it while he was serving (which raises questions about who he bought it for)?, or could he have bought it after he met my mother?
Hope that you can enlighten me or point me in the direction of more information.
Thanks, Kate
Kate,
Don't take this the wrong way, but what makes you think that the badge she had was bought for her by her husband. It could have been a momento from someone else... From what you have said, it doesn't sound like the sort of thing he would have brought her.
My Mum (was in the ATS) lived in London during the war and didn't get married until 1946. She also had an RAF brooch hidden away - and she only showed it to me after my stepfather died... Her RAF "sweetheart" was a bomber crew member and never came back - like so many. What can I say.
david
Old 06-08-08, 12:08 PM

Default Info on sweetheart badges?

KATE, Could it be that this was brought earlier by another person who "courted" your future mother, say from 1939 onwards......

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 17-02-19, 08:46 PM

Default I have one too!

Hi there,

I have one of these badges too! It was given to me a while back, it’s not in great condition.

Description:

White wings
Blue center with RAF in gold in middle of blue center
Small crown on top
Wreath (gold, but may of been coloured) around blue center
Small ring on bottom of it

Can anyone tell me when it’s from? Thanks!
Old 18-02-19, 09:35 PM

Welcome, an image would be most helpful, but otherwise, depending on what shape of crown, 1918-1953 or 1953-present. I take it there are no maker marks?

Rgds, Thomas
Old 19-02-19, 02:13 AM

Hi

I might have missed this in the earlier posts, but you often see buttons and/or collar badges turned into "sweethearts". Some are most beautifully crafted and some are.....3/10 for manufacture but maybe with an "E" for effort!

Not uncommon to see buttons that have a space for a photo at the back (again someone with skill and time!).

I would guess that many jewellers had display of these in their windows and no doubt did some "research" on what regiments were "popular" or stationed locally. My own delight are the wonderfully hand-engraved (try getting that done at a reasonable price these days...) silver or gold items.

We are also talking about a time when people wanted to be linked to a unit/ cause, etc. and were proud to show it. Even wearing association badges was a lot more common back then. Some years ago in New Zealand, I met and had a brief chat with a gentleman wearing an "Old Coldstreamers" badge. He had served in Italy (Cassino) and spoke of how his unit had used the bodies of two dead New Zealanders as a point of reference to find their way back to the lines. That tale still moves me many years later.