British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-19, 10:35 PM

Default Any members with access to Int Corps Officers service records

Evening All,
I have recently acquired a set of insignia, medals and headdress to whom i believe is the recently deceased (RIP Sir), Canon Hugh Melinsky.
https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articl...-hugh-melinsky

In with the medals, war medal, defence medal, 39-45 and Pacific star is a little notebook.
He was stationed in what looks like Australia (Lots of names of streets and locations in Sydney), but also references a trip to USA.
I know he was int corps (sidecap, rank pips and badges), but in his obituary of 23 Nov 2018 from the Church Times, it fleetingly mentions that he took part in contributing to the JAPANESE INTELLIGENCE OPERATION.
Theres numerous names of ladies and tel numbers/addresses in the notebook.
What would have his role been as a mere Lieutenant.
His details are Canon Michael Arthur "Hugh" Melinsky. Educated at Whitgift school (Included is a blazer badge with crossed Lee Enfields and 1939-40-41-42
He was called up in 42. Any assistance with trying to find out what he did would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Jon
Old 08-03-19, 04:15 PM

I have asked the Int Corps Association to help (but don't hold your breath)
Mike
Old 08-03-19, 04:29 PM

Default Thanks Mike. Some photos of the lot

Thanks Mike.Heres some pictures.i forgot to add last night.
Interesting small sandcast Int badge in the FS cap, but looks to have been applied during the assembly of the FS.
20190307_231610.jpg

20190307_231616.jpg

0455-4.jpg

0455-1.jpg

0455-2.jpg

0455-3.jpg
Old 08-03-19, 05:33 PM

Default Thanks Mike. Some photos of the lot

Thanks Mike.Heres some pictures.i forgot to add last night.
Interesting small sandcast Int badge in the FS cap, but looks to have been applied during the assembly of the FS.
Attachment 203088

Attachment 203089

Attachment 203090

Attachment 203091

Attachment 203092

Attachment 203093
Old 12-03-19, 10:59 AM

Here's what I found out for you from the Int Corps. As a quid pro quo would you be prepared to share the images of this remarkable Int Corps collection with the Museum. The lady who helped me (and you!) is: Joyce.Hutton648@mod.gov.uk and she is at the military Intelligence Museum at Chicksands (ww.militaryintelligencemuseum.org

The following is the obit (produced by Mr Judge) which will appear in the R&L for Cannon Melinsky and which should hopefully go a long way to answering your friend’s query.

Melinsky, Canon Michael Arthur Hugh. Hugh Melinsky, who has died aged 94, was born in Croydon in 1924 and educated at the Whitgift School. His education continued after the war when he went up to Christ’s College, Cambridge to read theology. He was called up for military service in 1942, posted to the Intelligence Corps and underwent a Japanese language course at Bedford. His wartime service seems to have been entirely with MI8. The records show that for part of his service he was in Australia with the Central Bureau in Brisbane and 2 Wireless Unit. The London Gazette shows that he was commissioned from WO2 on 1 February 1945. There are no other entries until 1953 when he is shown as a Lieutenant with the Lancaster Royal Grammar School CCF, but still with the Intelligence Corps. He resigned his commission on 26 July 1957; this was presumably in order that he could follow his career as a minister of the church. He was appointed to the curacies at Wimborne Minster and Wareham in Dorset before moving to Norwich where he was Vicar of St Stephen’s and also held the post of Chaplain to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. He was an author of note, producing a book on his military experiences with the title ‘A Codebreaker’s Tale’, another on psychosomatic explanations for New Testament accounts of the ministry of Jesus, a book on the RAF pathfinders in which he sought to clarify the reputation of AVM Sidney Bufton in ‘Forming Pathfinders’ as well as various essays and theological papers. In Norwich he went on to become Canon Missioner and was the Chief Secretary of the Advisory Council for the Church’s Ministry. We have no information about surviving relatives or funeral.

(We have no archive file for him and this is based on that in ‘The Church Times’, Corps database, Daily Telegraph obituary of 5 November 2018 and entries in The London Gazette.)
Old 12-03-19, 11:52 AM

Morning Mike and Thank You.
Absolutely id be happy to share with the museum.
Also found that the badge on the khaki beret is a badge for a christian pilgrimage.
More to this gentleman than meets the eye i think.
Thank you
Jon
Old 12-03-19, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON188 View Post
Morning Mike and Thank You.
Absolutely id be happy to share with the museum.
Also found that the badge on the khaki beret is a badge for a christian pilgrimage.
More to this gentleman than meets the eye i think.
Thank you
Jon
Jon,
In terms of sharing the images, it would be good if you could contact Joyce directly. It helps both of you build up contacts - possibly for your mutual benefit.
I have only referred to you as Jon - from the Badge Forum.
Mike
Old 12-03-19, 01:12 PM

Thank you Mike from the forum🙂
I have another SF int related question that she may be able to assist with.
Regards
Jon
Old 12-03-19, 03:36 PM

Default Contact Wait Out!

Mike,
Ive made contact with Joyce. Thanks again as i feel there will be more to Hugh than meets the eye!
Old 13-03-19, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON188 View Post
Mike,
Ive made contact with Joyce. Thanks again as i feel there will be more to Hugh than meets the eye!
Well done! A contact in that Museum is a valuable asset. In the past I've found it difficult to elicit a response sometimes - notwithstanding 25 years in the Corps!
Old 13-03-19, 02:46 PM

You are right Mike its always good. And im always happy to share photos and knowledge i pickup on my travels with a couple of museum curators i know.
Thanks again for the introduction.
Regards
Jon