British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Infantry and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-19, 03:35 AM

Default St. George English Rifle Regiment Collars plus two others

Hello all

The recent post of the St George's colour sergeant patch reminded me that a few years ago I was lucky enough to purchase a St. George's English Rifle Regiment helmet plate with three collars plus three other collar badges that I haven't been able to positively identify. The seller identified them as variants of the normal collars but he wasn't 100% sure.

I have been told that the unidentified collars are possibly from the 5th (Union Volunteer) NSW Infantry Regiment. They appear to be made from cast lead.

The unidentified badges are on the right of the photographs.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8290.jpg (51.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8291.jpg (52.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-01-19, 08:14 AM

hi dennis
I will have to do some checking but I think you may be correct.
5th (Union Volunteer) NSW Infantry Regiment sounds right to me.
I don't have a set but have seen them before described as such
bc
Old 13-01-19, 09:26 AM

I would agree that the lead collar badges on the right of the photo are pre-1900 St Geo English Rifle Regt. Interesting that the sword faces down like the hat badge (also lead filled). It is apparent that the C.O. Lt Col Neild is wearing this type of collar badge not the other one.
The other two badges on the left of Dennis's photo are the 1901-03 types contemporary with the KC helmet plate and the larger sized hat badge. I also believe (and would be interested whether you think I am correct) that Col Neild's hat badge is the lead filled one with a crown. It seems too large from its side view to be the shorter St Geo without the crown and he definitely became C.O. about 1896.
There is another smaller St Geo variation pictured with the 1903 set, worn as an epaulette badge.
Three other observations:
1. the 1901 plain St Geo badge was worn in both sizes in both WM and gilt, and the post 1903 titles come in WM and gilt as well.
2. the smaller sized 1901 badge exists facing both right and left, but IMHO was only worn in NSW facing to the right. The other was apparently worn by the UK regiment who originally wore the badge before NSW purchased it "off the shelf". I don't know who or when but maybe someone can identify the British crossbelt plate.
3. attached is another smaller variation from my photo file, don't know what it is.
More pix on the other thread on the St Geo colour sgt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John_Neild.jpg (22.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1903InfStGeoSet2.jpg (32.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg StGeofacing.jpg (29.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg phil3.jpg (47.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg qvRilesUK.jpg (47.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by kingsley; 13-01-19 at 09:31 AM.
Old 13-01-19, 11:09 AM

Hello Kingsley, thanks for your input and the additional photographs. The photograph of the Colonel certainly lends support to you comment re the lead badges.

I have had a couple of requests to see all the badges I picked up so I have attached an additional photo of the helmet plate and six collars that were acquired as a package.

I have also included one of the smaller collars and shoulder title Kingsley referred to for comparison. Apologies for the quality of the photo. If anybody wants any detailed pics just send me a PM

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8296.jpg (117.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Ironside410; 13-01-19 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling