British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-12-16, 03:55 PM

Default 2 Cloth formation signs for I.D.

Hi,
I have had the one on the left up before but thought I would try again.
A metallic/plastic V on blue felt with red felt triangle and in morse code below the letter V (..._)
The one on the right with the spear in arm with 55 is also a mystery to me.
Any help would be appreciated. Items will be up for offers once I know what they are.
Thanks
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6070.jpg (40.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 14-12-16, 04:39 PM

The "V" flash - I don't think that this is military - fabricated from a bit of felt and braid and some embroidery. Could be French - Resistance associated - or the sort of vaguely patriotic design that a nursing sister might make up to sew inside her cape - along with all her collected formation signs.
The other flash is vaguely familiar - probably featured in the Formation Sign years ago. Anti Aircraft or Anti Tank Artillery perhaps, but not British or Commonwealth. Mike
Old 14-12-16, 05:03 PM

Default Badge ID

Paul,
The diamond shaped badge, with '55' and the spear, is a squadron ops badge for No 55 Squadron RAF. It could be from the squadron's V Bomber days at RAF Honington with the Victor B1As, or the Victor Tanker days at RAF Marham.
It looks to be of late 1960s or early 1970s manufacture.
If you google 55 Sqn aircrew for groundcrew, or images, you should be able to find one being worn.
These badges were generally worn on the flying suit by aircrew or on the overalls by groundcrew.
George
Old 14-12-16, 05:21 PM

Badge:

A cubit arm, the arm grasping a spear - approved by King Edward VIII in May 1936. The badge was developed from remarks made by Wing Commander PFM Fellowes, the Commander of 'Q' Force, while en-route to Constantinople in 1920. He referred to No 55 Squadron as the 'spearpoint' of the force and its aircraft as the 'haft of the spear'
Old 14-12-16, 05:53 PM

Thank you both,
Ref the V sign
I had thought military not particularly British because of what seems to be morse code for V stitched into the bottom of the sign. A Resistance link would be nice and I wander if the V is for Victory for a Morse Operator of such an organisation worn on comemorations.
I have two of the other sign to 55 Sqn one with the backing off, if anyone is interested let me know. ######(both 55 Sqn patches are now gone) ##############
Thanks again
Paul

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 15-12-16 at 10:19 AM.
Old 14-12-16, 07:02 PM

Default 55 Sqn badge

Paul,
I would be interested in one with the backing on please; PM sent.
George