British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-06-12, 01:08 PM

Default Canadian Brassard, 25th bde

Hello,

I've just received this brassard below which has raised a few questions:

I assume that it is Korean War vintage - though I know the 25th bde badge was used by other UN formations later, as I understand it, the RCR was not deployed on any of those.

Also, could the type of brassard give any idea of the date? I remember seeing a Canadian Dental Corps pair of brassards of the same shape on this forum, but most do not seem to be of this type.

As I'm sure you can guess, Canadian badges are not by forte but it is always interesting to learn about new aspects of the hobby!

All best,

BP

Last edited by Brigade Piron; 15-06-12 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Trying to get picture to work
Old 15-06-12, 03:46 PM

No pic on this end. Cheers Brian
Old 15-06-12, 04:09 PM

That's odd, but not the first time I've had problems with images hosted on this site.
Here is a link:
http://britishbadgeforum.com/forums/...ictureid=70373

Thanks for letting me know.
BP
Old 15-06-12, 05:04 PM

No picture......
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 15-06-12, 06:10 PM

Maybe it is this one?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=70373

Marc
Old 15-06-12, 06:22 PM

That's the one - thought I'd posted a link earlier. I've also had a go a re-pasting the photo (does it work now?)

Anyway, does anyone have a date for this type of brassard (with epaulettes)?
Old 16-06-12, 12:31 AM

Default Brassard

It is of a similar shape to the Korean War pair that I have which are badged to the RCDC and the badges on your example are correct for the period. That being said, what you have to keep in mind is that a brassard like the one that you have is very generic for the 1950s and early 1960s period and could well have been worn in Canada or even on a UN mission.

I was fortunate that my RCDC pair came as a set and if they had not, I would just dismissed the brassard with the red UN shield as having come from any 1950s or early 1960s UN mission.

You have to understand the Canadian Army supply system for the post-War period; so even if the brassard were dated from the early 1950s, it may well have been badged in the 1960s.

It is a nice badged brassard, just linking it to the Korean War is tenuous at best.
Old 16-06-12, 06:42 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your comments.

I am fortunate to know that the seller I got it from, got it as part of a larger lot (including bullion Commonwealth badges which I couldn't afford ) so I think I can assume from that it dates from that period.

On another note, if the badge is the Canadian UN badge, wouldn't it only have been worn on UN missions? I'm no expert, but I cannot see another UN mission after Korea before the '80/90s by which time the badge would be obsolete?
http://theroyalcanadianregiment.ca/h...ince_1945.html

BP
Old 16-06-12, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

A bit of confusion here. The red 25 Bde patch became a nationality patch worn by Canadians deployed on United Nations missions. This was (And on other international taskings.) It was usually worn on one side with the UN patch on the other. I am not sure if this practice started with the Suez deployment, but they were worn on other deployments like the Congo and Cyprus. Canada participated in virtually every UN mission during the 1950's through 1970's.
Old 16-06-12, 12:46 PM

Default UN Missions

The smaller UN Missions in the 1950s had Canadian Staff Officers attached to them, so outside of the Korea threatre there are a few possible locations where this brassard could have worn.

As well, the holes in the should strap portion of the brassard reveal that the rank insignia worn with this item were the metal stars and crowns. This could also be an indicator of where this particular item was used.

You basically have to keep an open mind with material from this period and say "Okay it is correct for the period, but was it used in Korea; well perhaps, or maybe but you do not know for sure."
Old 16-06-12, 02:06 PM

Thank you for your help,

The holes come from captain's pips (though it isn't clear in the photograph) - presumably the metal versions. Could this be a lead?

Bill - I know that Canada has a record for its UN deployments, however, I cannot see any mention in the regimental history for any RCR deployments with the UN for at least twenty years after Korea.

I'm trying to get a name out of the seller so we shall see, but like I say, it came in a lot of Korean War RCR stuff, so unless evidence is produced to the contrary that's good enough for me.

All best,
BP
Old 16-06-12, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigade Piron View Post
Thank you for your help,
I know that Canada has a record for its UN deployments, however, I cannot see any mention in the regimental history for any RCR deployments with the UN for at least twenty years after Korea.
The first UN deployment for a battalion of The RCR was 1RCR's mission in Cyprus in 1966-67. There is also the possibility of individual officers being employed as UN observers in the intervening period.

Tags
25th brigade, korean war, rcr, royal canadian regiment