British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-03-14, 03:19 PM
guest7789

HI Mike, thanks for posting the scan. Both of mine have plastic backs and your right yours is different then the two I have, interesting!
Old 22-03-14, 03:27 PM
guest7789

PM sent Mike
Old 22-03-14, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Does anyone have a example of the CIC (Army) badge? I don't recall ever seeing one, and I don't have one in my accumulation.
Are we talking about the "General List - Ordinary Ranks" badge, crossed swords with three Maple Leaves, topped by the Queen's Crown?

If it is, I have one in my collection and can send a pic.

Ian B
Old 22-03-14, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ian, No that is not the badge that is being discussed, at least according to the posts in the thread. Apparently there is a design with the maple leaf outline with straight bladed swords, not the "cutlass" curved pattern. This is the cutlass pattern. The general list badge is not the CIC army badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image 10032.JPG (6.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 23-03-14, 06:32 PM

OK Bill,

Now I'm a bit confused with the reference to "CIC". As I know it, the Canadian Infantry Corps was created by G.O.466 on Sep. 2, 1942. After WWII, it received the "Royal" prefix on Apr. 30, 1947. I have attached photos of badges from my collection. The first is the metal shoulder title for the RCIC (and in case anyone asks, I don't think it is the Int Corps as they never received the "Royal" prefix before Unification. Their shoulder title was C-INT-C). The second is taken from a picture display that I created for the Infantry School in 2004. The cloth shoulder title is no longer in my collection, but I did provide it for the display. The third is also from that display, the Canadian Infantry Corps hat badge, while the forth is the Infantry Branch badge.

So, I guess my questions are as follows: Are the members really referring to a combat cap badge for the ROYAL Canadian Infantry Corps? Does a metal badge for the ROYAL Canadian Infantry Corps exist, which should theoretically come between the CIC badge and the Infantry Branch badge, upon which a combat cap badge would be based like all the other corps badges? Are we 100%-iron clad-take it to the bank-positive that a combat cap badge with a large Maple Leaf with crossed Crusader swords and QC is for the RCIC and not the Army Cadets? I thought I had collected all the Pre-Unification combat cap badges, but if this cap badge does exist, I surely would like more info on it.

Definitely not looking to cause any drama.....just looking to expand my knowledge and obtain clarification.

Cheers,

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0053.jpg (21.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0054.jpg (35.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0055.jpg (50.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0057.jpg (44.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Ian B; 23-03-14 at 07:32 PM. Reason: correct a date
Old 23-03-14, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, Ian, No drama intended. The abbreviaton is for the Cadet Instructor Cadre. http://www.cadets.ca/en/leadership-t...tor-cadre.page
In answer to your other question regarding a qc RCIC badge, no such bird was authorized. The CIC (Canadian Infantry Corps) badge, kc, continued in wear well into the 1950's. At that time qc designs were proposed, but before agreement on a pattern was reached, the proposal was nixed. The rationale for not needing the badge was simple. The method of infantry training in the early 50's and for some time into the 60's (need to double check the later date) was to have the recruits attend basic training at the depot of the regular force regiment to which they attested. They were badged with the regimental badge. Then in early mid 50's, the army approved the General List cap badge (the pattern we referenced above), and it was adopted for any unassigned recruits or personnel. As staff on RCIC duties continued to wear their regimental badges or the general list (officers or other ranks) badges there was no need for a RCIC badge. When unification took place the RCIC was renamed the Infantry Branch, and eventually the branch badge was approved. I think they also changed recruit training around the time of unification where all recruits had the common basic course, but were identifed by the branch to which they had attested? Phil H made some mention of this. Someone elaborating on this is welcome.
Back to the original question, I have not seen a "crusader" (straight bladed) sword on the CIC badges, and would certainly like to see an image of one.

Last edited by Bill A; 23-03-14 at 09:13 PM. Reason: clarified post
Old 23-03-14, 07:38 PM

Sorry Bill. I meant the drama was from MY end. Didn't want anyone to think I was getting off on a rant.

As for "CIC", maybe a gentle reminder to all our posters to use the full title first followed by the acronym (shades of Administration Clerks hounding us Infantry types to follow correct writing procedures!!). So, Canadian Infantry Corps (CIC) or Cadet Instructor Cadre (CIC). Not everybody knows what acronyms stand for all the time. Guess that's what caused my confusion.

Thanks for your info, clears things up.

Ian