British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-22, 11:51 AM

Default Dewsbury Borough Police info please

This is probably one for you Dave. Do you know the strength of Dewsbury force? because there seems to be quite a lot of senior officer badges to this force on the market. Is there anything I should be aware of to identify a fake?
Re the other ranks cap badges. I notice most of these seem to be solid centre, but I have seen just one which was voided (round cap badge) Are the non voids ok?
Thanks
billyh
Old 04-03-22, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
This is probably one for you Dave. Do you know the strength of Dewsbury force? because there seems to be quite a lot of senior officer badges to this force on the market. Is there anything I should be aware of to identify a fake?
Re the other ranks cap badges. I notice most of these seem to be solid centre, but I have seen just one which was voided (round cap badge) Are the non voids ok?
Thanks
billyh
Billy

Dewsbury Borough Police had a strength of approximately 90 all ranks. My father served with the force as PC61 from 1952 until 1970. The force was absorbed into West Riding Constabulary circa 1967/68. I can’t imagine that there were more than around half a dozen senior officers at any one time. During his service my dad only ever wore helmets (he had two, one with chrome plate and “comb” fittings and another with a black plate and fittings for night duty). I believe that hats were only ever worn by traffic officers. I have a cap badge somewhere that he acquired from the stores when the force changed, it is definitely voided.
I suspect that most of the senior officers cap badges and unvoiced badges were made for the collectors market.
Hope that helps

Paul
Old 04-03-22, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
Thanks
billyh
At the time of their demise on the 1st October 1968, the final strength of the force was 122. The senior officers were:-

Chief Constable R. Harrison,
Superintendent & Dep. Ch. Const. S. Boothroyd.
Ch. Insp. R. H. Rhodes.
Chief Clerk. Insp. K. Henshaw.
Inspectors J.F. Kelk., J.B. Wild., and K. Butler.
C.I.D. Detective Inspector J. F. Brook.

The issued Senior Officer cap badges were made in two parts. The backing star and the blue ringed circle. The circle is sweated to the backing star and is and should always be VOIDED. The solid centre one piece stamped blue ringed cap badges which are commonly seen are modern reproductions.

With regard to the other ranks cap badge these were commonly voided in the centre. However, the force had (for some reason) one batch of these badges produced with a solid centre. This was probably a mistake by the manufacturers. These (there were very few) were used by the force and will normally show signs of wear. Avoid anything very bright and shiny as these are also being reproed.

The original officers cap badges are quite heavy and well made and are seldom seen these days.

Dave.
Old 04-03-22, 02:05 PM

Thank you Paul. That is a great help. I had a general idea that the force wouldn't have been big enough for the high volume of 'senior officer' badges that are on the market.
Thanks
billyh
Old 04-03-22, 02:07 PM

Thank you Dave. Excellent bit of info.
Billyh