British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-03-09, 08:36 PM

Dave
Your K.V.F looks ok to me here is my original.
I also have a Middlesex with a slider which i would like peoples opinions plaese

Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KentVolunteerFencibles.jpg (51.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg KentVolunteerFencibles2.jpg (52.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Middlesex Vol Regiment.jpg (71.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Middlesex Vol Regiment 2.jpg (64.3 KB, 41 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 24-03-09 at 10:36 PM.
Old 26-03-09, 06:17 PM

Malc,
I can only comment that the Fattorini marked slider that I have on a Carnarvonshire badge is slimmer at the bottom than the top, by 1mm in fact.
Kevin
Old 26-03-09, 08:59 PM

Default Middlesex VTC

This is a new experience to me, over the last twenty odd years I have had several Middlesex VTC, all with the flat loops. I have never seen one with a slider.

I did say in one or two earlier threads that I am becoming increasingly suspicious of badges with manufacturers names stamped on the sliders, this is the thing that I have noticed that more and more fairly scarce badges keep appearing with names on sliders, this is easier than trying to put names on loops (lugs). As far as I know Gaunt were the only people to put a plaque on other ranks badges such as the Naval Divisions.
Old 26-03-09, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
This is a new experience to me, over the last twenty odd years I have had several Middlesex VTC, all with the flat loops. I have never seen one with a slider.

I did say in one or two earlier threads that I am becoming increasingly suspicious of badges with manufacturers names stamped on the sliders, this is the thing that I have noticed that more and more fairly scarce badges keep appearing with names on sliders, this is easier than trying to put names on loops (lugs). As far as I know Gaunt were the only people to put a plaque on other ranks badges such as the Naval Divisions.
This is a very good point and without dismissing the badges shown out of hand without other examples. In my case I can only point to the following Fattorini badge in my collection which is a Leys School (Cambridge) OTC. This is flat back, cast with their branding and once again has the unusual flat loops. Why would a company associated with manufacturing badges with this process revert to die stamping with named sliders?

My pair of Middlesex VTC collars also have flat lugs.

As for makers plates and markings, for some reason there are quite prevelent on VTC's. Makers plates appear on the London ones (Gaunt) whilst others seem quite regional, certainly the Essex one is.

I wouldn't totally dismiss the branding of slidered badges as being repro because low numbered private purchases are a whole different ball game from Battalion sized orders and as there are hundreds of the things it's maybe worthwhile making a database of known and suspected good examples from the likes of Bosley's and ebay listings whenever they arise.
Old 26-03-09, 10:57 PM

The Carnarvonshire example with the slider that I have is quite different from the common fake, not repro as the die is different. It is the same pattern as those that have been offered for auction on the rare occasion that they come up and to my knowledge all have had sliders. I agree that the two other VTC badges that I have, have the flat loops, however I have never come across a Carnarvonshire with loops. I have had a Surrey with a slider which Stephen Bosley looked at and gave it the ok.
Surely the individual units could have dictated their preference for slider or lugs.
It will be useful to see the outcome of the Fattorini thead in the makers mark section which may shed some additional light on this.
41st
Old 27-03-09, 06:08 PM

Default VTC Badges

There seems to be two main manufacturers of VTC badges who named their products, J R Gaunt who put plaques on the backs of badges and Thomas Fattorini, Bolton who stamped sliders and put plaques on some badges.
The Essex VTC badge I have been told on good authority bearing the name "Meggy Creasy and Thompson" was not a manufacturers name but the name I think of a Newspaper Publisher, quite how this was I don't know, possibly they paid for the badges to be made.

Having looked at my Carnarvonshire VTC, it has loops and a voided crown, possibly there were two other manufacturers of this badge, neither Gaunt or Fattorini as they surely would have put their name to this.
I have a Surrey VTC of the general pattern which has probably had the slider cut off as it is mounted in a frame with a photograph of the shooting team.

Having said before of my suspicions on named other ranks badges being restrikes, this probably does not apply to VTC items as much, for some reason they were often named. The General pattern bearing the date 1915 seems to have been made in the main by JR Gaunt, they also made VTC buttons.
Old 28-03-09, 02:18 PM

Sonofacqms,
Any chance of posting your voided Carnarvonshire as I have never seen one?
41st
Old 28-03-09, 03:55 PM

Cool Pictures

I am afraid at present I am unable to post any pictures of badges as my scanner does not work, when I am able to post pictures, I will do so.
Old 28-03-09, 04:21 PM

Here's an original Newcastle Upon Tyne VTC capbadge from my spare's collection.
Hopefully also a Photo of the Lord Mayor wearing one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg picture.jpeg (62.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg post-821-1204161904.jpg (28.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 28-03-09, 05:08 PM

Smile Newcastle Upon Tyne VTC

A most interesting photograph, it seems the mayor is wearing collar badges which look to be the same as the cap badge, this could explain the reason why some VTC "cap badges" have loops, blades and sliders.
Old 22-09-09, 02:21 AM

Default Leamington Volunteer Defence Corps

Here is a picture of my great grandfather, George Frederick Jones (1874-1937) in his uniform of the Leamington Volunteer Defence Corps during the First World War.
He served in the Warwickshire Yeomanry in the early 1900's, but was over age and had inadequate eyesight for active service in 1914.
I have attached details of his cap badge and shoulder title (LVDC). Unfortunately, these won't enlarge.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GFjones.jpg (31.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg LVDCbadge.jpg (14.7 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg LVDCshbadge.jpg (13.6 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 22-09-09 at 08:55 PM.
Old 29-09-09, 08:40 PM

Thumbs up One I found today !!

ROCESTER V T C BADGE
I beleave this to be ok !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9847.jpg (49.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9848.JPG (72.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9849.JPG (69.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9850.jpg (35.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 26-10-09, 12:58 AM

A couple of more additions to the Leamington Volunteer Defence Corps.
The capbadge - recently purchased and the only one that I have ever seen.
...and THE Leamington Volunteer Defence Corps!

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leam.jpg (34.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg LVDC.jpg (51.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-03-10, 09:44 AM

Default Middlesex VTC

This is an old thread, but as a new(ish) member there's some stuff of interest to me, and an open question...

Personally, I like Malc's slidered Middlesex VTC. I've collected VTC badges for quite some time, and have a number of slidered Fattorini badges, nearly all maker-marked on the slider. I also have some Fattorini badges with the usual flat loops, including Middlesex.

One of my slidered Fattorini badges is Whitley & Monkseaton VTC, a flat looped version of which has just appeared on Geoff NEwman's site. I have no doubts about the 'genuineness' of either, as they are pretty rare (unlike the Middlesex, which have been copied to death!).

So both slidered and looped can co-exist. If someone can tell me why, I'd be a much wiser man!

Thanks in anticipation;

Tim.
Old 13-11-15, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
Originals?
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...3&d=1237846404
I note that this Middlesex VTC badge does not have the crown flaw on the top right side of the crown. VTC are not my thing but there have been half a dozen of the badges with the flaw for sale on various sites including well known auction houses in the last month. I believe that someone is making very high quality repros of these with both the flat lugs and maker marked sliders. It is just impossible for this volume of these badges to come on to the market at once and all be genuine.

Last edited by Alan O; 13-11-15 at 04:01 PM.