British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-04-08, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
I really like that one. The lugs and curved feathers on both levels are typical of a genuine WW2 era badge. The voided crown is well done and I believe that this is a maker's variation. There were lots of para bns and the k/c badge was worn well into the 1950s if not longer. Mine has a solid crown but that makes no differnce. Para badges get very emotive in some circles and people get very excited about the exact location of the lugs and whether it is lugged or slidered but I can absolutley nothing wrong with that badge.

I would be very happy with that one in my collection.

Alan
Cheers Alan I like it too esp as the lot only cost a tenner , at one point thought the badge might have been a collar from the position of the lugs when I recieved a picture of the back but on comparison to the shoulder title I felt reassured on bidding.

Don't suppose you could add anything on the originality of the shoulder title which came with it?

Does anyone know when and why brass ones were worn at this date (must confess I do not own a copy of Westlake)? As the buttons are kosher along with the badge I'd be tempted to say its a small original contempoary lot although the brass titles do bend very easily.

Luke
Old 15-04-08, 11:52 AM

The shoulder title is absolutely spot on. Don't have Westlake to hand at present but believe that they were worn in the late 1940s through to the 50s. Oddly enough they are not scarce by any means. They were never popular with the regiment and didn't remain in use for very long. About 10 or 12 years ago the MOD disposed of their remining stock of these titles - thay had tea chest full of them and for quite some time the market was flooded !

OC14
Old 15-04-08, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
double post - whoops !
OC14
thanks OC14 nice to know its a right 'un

Tags
parachute regiment