British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-08, 03:39 PM

Default Truly Unbelieveable!

Just when I thought I had seen it all, the following formation badge shows up for current bid on e-Bay. I’m truly at a loss to try and explain, let alone describe this “item”. If any member of this forum can provide even a plausible theory on this “badge” I would be fascinated to hear it. I tried to include a jpg directly on this page but was unsuccessful. (The seller's description and URL of the item are listed below)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-WW2-BRI...QQcmdZViewItem

ORIGINAL WW2 BRITISH 1st AIRBORNE DIVISION PATCH BADGE Item number: 190229342751

Original WW2 British patch (cloth formation badge) for the 1st Airborne Division. Measures approximately 2" across. Machine embroidered on a ribbed fabric, with the edges folded over on the reverse -- labor intensive work. No glow under blacklight. Fading, frays, wear and some soiling. Salty with a "been there" look. Removed from a period patch scarf put together by a soldier with the Eighth Army who served in North Africa, so no doubt in my mind that it is an original, period patch. The scarf is pictured in this posting but only this 1st Airborne patch is a part of this auction. You are bidding on the patch pictured! Depicts Bellerophon astride a Pegasus. The 1st Airborne first went into action in North Africa in 1942 when, in support of the British First Army landings.

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 16-06-08 at 11:06 PM.
Old 16-06-08, 10:24 PM

HAHAhahahaha...etc! It's not April 1st by any chance is it?
Old 17-06-08, 12:50 AM

One option is that it was actually hand made by a family member. Not for wear on the uniform but as a "token". Maybe by someone's little sister who was proud of her big brother who was at war. One should never discount such possibilities. What's the matter fellas, no imagination?
Old 17-06-08, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard-ri View Post
One option is that it was actually hand made by a family member. Not for wear on the uniform but as a "token". Maybe by someone's little sister who was proud of her big brother who was at war. One should never discount such possibilities. What's the matter fellas, no imagination?
Just some thoughts. Comments welcome.

It could also have been handmade by local civilians for sale to the soldiers. Maybe in North Africa, but more likely in Sicily/Italy. Somewhere, I have some handkerchiefs stitched with US badges/ "Souvenir of Italy" etc. I also have some Italian made badges, but they are usually of better quality than this.

On the other hand there is a 9th Australian flash on the scarf. As far as I am aware the 2 AIF wore colour patches and the boomarang and duck-billed platypus was a vehicle marking etc.

Of course, some enterprising soul trying to feed their kids could have copied a vehicle marking in cloth, and sold it to the soldiers. On the downside, it's not likely that someone from 1st Airborne would have come into contact with 9th Australian Division. The Aussies were in 8th Army and withdrawn from the front and returned to Australia in February of 1943. At that time the Airborne were at the other end of north Africa, with hundreds of thousands of Germans and Italians in between them.

Having had another look at the scarf I can also see Canadian and New Zealand vehicle flashes done in cloth as well as the Australian one mentioned above.

Last edited by BWEF; 17-06-08 at 06:29 AM.
Old 17-06-08, 08:09 AM
Badge Guru

tynesideirish,

Its not April 1st.........but a rare Airborne patch made from the curtains of the house nearest to the Bridge that were removed after the battle of Arnhem. A very rare Arnhem escapees manufactured item, from the men who linked up with the US 101st Airborne.

This item was sold recently to me by an old Dutch lady in her late 80's who just happened to come running out of her house last year whilst I was on holiday at Arnhem. She told me a paratrooper whilst being chased by the SS had time for tea biscuits in my house and gave me this collection of insignia, she had kept it ever since, regardless of the fear of being caught with it by the SS.

...........If I had a penny for every one of these stories Ive heard on eBay and frankly they are becoming tiresome. I know a fair few other Airborne collectors who feel the same way.

On a serious note:

People are making up these insignia collections. I do realise that field made insignia was worn during WW2 but to be honest this is one of the worst quality items Ive ever seen and if you would rather spend your money on this than on a printed/stitched example then you must have a flame thrower burning holes in your pockets.
Old 30-06-08, 01:05 PM

It's a real odd group of badges on that scarf. The Airborne patch does look extremely odd I admit. However a previous offering from this vendor (also from the scarf), described as the 2nd Greek Independent Brigade (although I think it was the 3rd, despite what Cole says) looked absolutely bang on from where I was sitting.

Quite a strange collection of the wrong, the could be wrong and the 'quite possibly right'...

Best regards
Jonathan