British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-06-19, 11:31 AM

Default Duke of Lancasters Regiment

I think I have collected all the cap badges that have amalgamated to form the Duke of Lancasters Regiment. I would appreciate if anyone can see any badge/Regiment I have missed. Thanks
Kings (Manchester) Regiment
Kings (Liverpool) Regiment
Kings Regiment (Manchester & Liverpool)
East Lancashire Regiment
South Lancashire Regiment
Lancashire Regiment
Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
Queens Lancashire Regiment
The Border Regiment
Kings Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)
Kings Own Royal Border Regiment
4th Bn The Border Cumberland & Westmoreland Regiment
5th Bn The Border Cumberland Regiment
Duke of Lancasters Regiment
Liverpool Scottish Bn (Kings Liverpool Regiment)
3rd (Volunteer) Bn Cheshire Regiment
Kings and Cheshire Regiment
4th Bn Queens Lancashire Regiment
4th (Volunteer) Bn Kings Own Royal Border Regiment
Lancastrian and Cumbrian Volunteers
4th Bn Duke of Lancaster Regiment

Many thanks
Tom
Old 30-06-19, 02:34 PM

Hello Tom,

If you are looking to list all the regiments/battalions that can be said to be now represented by the Duke of Lancasters Regiment, I think it is a difficult task.

There was never a Kings ( Manchester ) Regiment and if you are going to include The Kings and Cheshire Regiment ( who wore the badges of The Kings and The Cheshire Regiment and never had their own badge ), you should also perhaps include 5/8 Kings and following from that the 5th Battalion ,Kings Regiment and 8th Battalion,The Manchester Regiment and so on.

I would be interested to see what badges you included so far.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 01-07-19 at 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 30-06-19, 03:46 PM

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your response. Thankyou for pointing out my error of listing the Manchester Regiment as the Kings, my mistake.
I have a Cheshire badge, I just to make sure it is the correct pattern. The other battalions you have listed, do they have their own cap badges, as the 7th Bn Manchester Regiment does?
I have also been unable to find a badge for the Lancastrian and Cumbrian Volunteers.
I am hoping to get the badges mounted this week, as long as my boss doesn't give me work to do!
Cheers
Tom
Old 30-06-19, 05:47 PM

Like the The King's and Cheshire Regiment, The Lancastrian and Cumbrian Volunteers were a multi-badged regiment with no cap badge of their own.

BTW, the Cheshire element of The King's and Cheshire Regiment went into 4th Battalion, the Mercian Regiment and thus were only just "touching" the King's Regiment > The Duke of Lancasters Regiment, not really part of it in my opinion.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 30-06-19, 06:18 PM

I think that I have most of the example on my boards that you are looking for will post if interested Duke of Lancasters in my album and gallery
David

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 30-06-19 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 07:57 AM

This post has reminded me of a " family tree" I saw at the St.Helens Headquarters of the Lancashire Artillery Volunteers, the person who had compiled it had included most of the Territorial gunner units in the north west including those that had been raised as infantry etc. and on reflection he was right to do so.

Tom.
As far as your question is concerned regarding unit with their own badges, it rather depends how far back you want to go.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-07-19, 11:26 AM

Not as comprehensive as yours but i'm pleased with it.

My display in Nottingham Arboretum. 59th / Duke of Lancs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180108_204515.jpg (50.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg canton bell dec 18 001.jpg (32.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Restrikes-ok; 01-07-19 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 01-07-19, 01:45 PM

Tom posted some ''boards in my album '' will post the remainder of the regiments later Three parent regiments and lancs regiments
David

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 01-07-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the replies,

Peter - A family tree is exactly the type of display that I am going for, modern regiments showing all the units that have amalgamated to form them. As for how far back to go, probably no further than WW1, although I do have a couple of QVC, but doubtful if they are genuine. I wont buy a badge if it states it's a repro but for me personally it's about showing the history.

Restrikes-ok - That is a nice collection you have there, to have your items displayed is nice but to have them displayed at the Arboretum is an honour. I like that you have the shoulder titles with the badges, nice touch.

David - That is an extensive collection you have there, to collect all the different manufacturers is a big commitment.
Is there a specific reason the to the Kings Own one with the lettering in the block, does it indicate a specific Bn?

Cheers
Tom
Old 01-07-19, 04:02 PM

Funny thing is I got 'abuse' on face book because my collection didn't have a Loyals badge in it lol.
Old 01-07-19, 04:29 PM

I assume you didn't charge to display your items, you should say that you are content to remove yours when a more complete set is offered ( which I doubt any of the complainers could provide!), and that you are happy to receive donations of badges to expand your collection.
Old 01-07-19, 05:23 PM

On this subject,I've just on e..y a helmet plate centre to the regt .
Old 01-07-19, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther1 View Post
As for how far back to go, probably no further than WW1, although I do have a couple of QVC,
That is a pity. The regulars lineage goes back to Regiments of Foot: 4, 8, 30, 34, 40, 47, 55, 59, 63, 81, 82 and 96.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 01-07-19, 06:22 PM

When I was a boy I loyally collected badges of the county of Lancashire. I was born and bought up in Lancashire - but sadly, in 1974 my county became the ghastly 'Merseyside'. The regiments - as they were in 1914:

The King's Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment
The King's (Liverpool Regiment)
The Lancashire Fusiliers
The East Lancashire Regiment
The Prince of Wales’ Vols (South Lancashire Regiment)
The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
The Manchester Regiment

In the event, prudence and economy won over and I thenceforth concentrated on the King's Regt (ie old 8th Foot). I lost interest in the 1958 reorganisation (too modern) - except the King's TA Bns.
Old 01-07-19, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther1 View Post
I assume you didn't charge to display your items, you should say that you are content to remove yours when a more complete set is offered ( which I doubt any of the complainers could provide!), and that you are happy to receive donations of badges to expand your collection.
For some reason I did change my collection slightly. I put an E/Lancs, S/Lancs and Loyals buttons in. Guess that makes me compliant with the f/b bullies (a modern phenomenon) lol.

''As for how far back to go, probably no further than WW1, although I do have a couple of QVC,''

There in lies an interesting question. Is glengarry badge collecting 'capbadge collecting ?'' As you can see, with my collection I did just that with the (30th & 59th), because I wanted to show the direct link from 59th to the Duke of Lancs.

''That is a nice collection you have there, to have your items displayed is nice but to have them displayed at the Arboretum is an honour. I like that you have the shoulder titles with the badges, nice touch.''

Don't know where you live Mr Panther, but if your ever going past Nottingham Arboretum café please go in and have a look.

Last edited by Restrikes-ok; 01-07-19 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added too my post