British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-02-12, 03:55 PM

Default Royal Dragoon Guards

Ive been going through some a/a cavalry stuff.I know that theres 2 sizes to the Royal Dragoon Guards ,i have both,both are marked Firmin.But the 2 enamelled badges,Firmin and London Badge and Button marked, i cant seem to find a genuine a/a badge.All the enamelled badges seem to be shiny metal.I have a lugged lighter weight metal badge,a Firmin badge sealed in the packet and a London badge and button in heavier metal.Also has anybody come across a LB&B plain silver a/a badge,again i can only find a Firmin badge.
Old 11-02-12, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mike,

There may have only been a Firmin badge. The regt took and immediate dislike to the new a/a badges in 1992 and quickly switched to the enamel ones. These also proved to be below par so they then took to purchasing superior 'officer' quality badges.
Old 11-02-12, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Mike,

There may have only been a Firmin badge. The regt took and immediate dislike to the new a/a badges in 1992 and quickly switched to the enamel ones. These also proved to be below par so they then took to purchasing superior 'officer' quality badges.
Yes,thats what im starting to think Alan.The LB&B badge i bought was sold to me as anodised,it certainly wasnt.The seller insisted it was ,and had been sold to him by a contact at LB&B as such.
If somebody has a genuine enamelled RDG ,id love to see it in the flesh.
Old 11-02-12, 08:21 PM
Former Member

Default Royal Dragoon Guards

Mike,
as Alan has already pointed out, the first ORs pattern badges following "Options for Change" were anodised aluminium, both shown below. Made by Firmins, the smaller pattern intended for Senior Ranks (Sgts to WO). The Regiment did not like it as the detail was hard to make out. Firmin came up with a possible solution and brought out an A/A badge with coloured enamel in an attempt to "highlight" the detail, as far as I know this was only in the Junior Ranks larger pattern. There was also a new alloy type badge (marked FIRMIN). The Firmin solution was rejected and the Regiment decided at their own expense to adopt the officer quality badges, "All" ranks wearing the larger badge in the Forage (Dress) cap and by junior ranks in the beret. Officers and Senior ranks wearing the officers collar badge (flag to the right) in their berets and SD caps. The LB&B examples can be found in plain whitemetal and with coloured enamel, but these are probably a "Collectors Market" production as they are not in general wear by the Regiment! (sorry for the glare, images taken with aid of a flash)..

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1004 (3).jpg (75.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1005 (3).jpg (72.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1006 (2).jpg (93.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1007 (2).jpg (66.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002 (3).jpg (69.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1003 (3).jpg (83.7 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 11-02-12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 06:51 PM

Andy,So you are saying that you can find a Firmin enamelled a/a badge in the larger size,but thats all.
I wonder whether the lugged badge is a pouch badge then.
Old 12-02-12, 07:12 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Andy,So you are saying that you can find a Firmin enamelled a/a badge in the larger size,but thats all.
I wonder whether the lugged badge is a pouch badge then.
Mike the lugged badges shown are Cap and Collar (worn as cap) and yes there is an Anodised Aluminium badge with enamel inlay.

Andy
Old 12-02-12, 07:44 PM

These are the demandable badges listed in the current JSP.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Mike the lugged badges shown are Cap and Collar (worn as cap) and yes there is an Anodised Aluminium badge with enamel inlay.

Andy
the lugged you are showing are the officers type badges arent they Andy ? The a/a enamel inlay is a Firmin badge isnt it ?
Old 12-02-12, 07:50 PM

what is the base material on the 3 non officer type badges Marc ?
Old 12-02-12, 07:52 PM
Former Member

Quote:
the lugged you are showing are the officers type badges arent they Andy ? The a/a enamel inlay is a Firmin badge isnt it ?
Mike "Yes" to both, the Ano badge has "FIRMIN LONDON" whereas the Alloy example just "FIRMIN"..

Andy
Old 12-02-12, 08:00 PM

Thank you for the clarification Andy,the lugged badge i have isnt an officer type badge.
Old 12-02-12, 08:05 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification Andy,the lugged badge i have isnt an officer type badge.
Mike,
"FIRMINS" are turning out all sorts of items? Whereas in the past manufacturers made to Govt Contract, I think they are knocking out just as much intended for the collectors market!

Andy
Old 12-02-12, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Mike,
"FIRMINS" are turning out all sorts of items? Whereas in the past manufacturers made to Govt Contract, I think they are knocking out just as much intended for the collectors market!

Andy
There are no makers marks on it at all,im wondering if its the top right hand badge on Marc`s post
Old 12-02-12, 08:33 PM

Quote:
what is the base material on the 3 non officer type badges Marc ?
All the SNCOs & soldiers badges are anodised aluminum.

Marc
Old 12-02-12, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
All the SNCOs & soldiers badges are anodised aluminum.

Marc
lol im confused now,i have an 8456 or`s badge in the packet but its enamelled white metal.So can you have badges of different materials on the same nsn? Also the snco badge 8457 wouldnt be worn,because they wear the officers collar badge.So why have a non use badge thats produced and available ?

Last edited by Mike H; 12-02-12 at 09:02 PM.