British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-08, 07:28 PM

Smile Bottom of shell case

Here you are. Best focus I could manage. My own opinion is that the owner had collected up quite a few over the years and put them on an old shell case as a display item. Not necessarily when he was serving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bottom of shellcase 001.jpg (46.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-04-08, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi all
sorry to the one to mention this, but was chating with a friend from england the other day who mentioned the latest trick in the restrikers armoury. given the big prices for trench art these days on ebay, $100s per item in some cases and the decreasing prices of the restrikes, the fakers are puting restrikes onto old shell cases and pasing them off as genuine.
now im no expert on british badges but i would now suspect any piece of trench art without provinance
BC
I agree with BC, the amount of shells cases with dodgey Dubs badges on the base where the shell has been made into a peaked cap (very popular design with collectors) and a general service button place where the cap badge would have been are very prolific indeed.

Luke
Old 02-04-08, 11:06 AM

hi john
seeing the other pics of the shell with all its badges i can see why you like it so much. its a very impressive item and i would say a bargain at the price. i would pay a tener for it anytime and in the end, if you like it and are happy with it, thats the main thing.
thanks for sharing it with us
BC
Old 14-04-08, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.buywyze.com/shop/viewphot...1014880&phqu=0

Worth a look to compare this LRDG badge at Bosleys.

Alan
Old 15-04-08, 06:27 PM

Smile LRDG badge

Thanks Alan,
Yes I saw it and saw the price on it. I realise why I don't actually collect these ones. However, having compared it with my own one on the shell case. I can't see any difference. Someone had mentioned that the scorpions legs on mine were in the wrong position, but they both look the same to me. If it is the real McCoy - deal of the decade or what.? Still looks great at my fireside whether it's real or not.
Cheers

John
Old 15-04-08, 09:24 PM

F-A-B,
could I please trouble you for a 'clearer & closer' pic of the LRDG badge here , again ?
On making some more recent re-observations here, I feel we are being influenced by some of the other badges on the shell case ? Who knows exactly how & when this lot was put together & then on to the shell case ?
To the badge................
Is the 'G' of LRDG voided? (cannot clearly see here)
Does the top leg touch the rim? (Seems not, that is good ! )
Are the stinger hook & leg touching? ( Ditto )
Well defined 'V' shaped feet? ( Yes ,that is good )Not the silly little stumps ,found on most copies !
Gap or 'V' notch, between pincers? ( Yes, that is good also !) (Bosley's one should have ,but does not seem to ????)
Scorpion body detail needs closer inspection here , but otherwise seems to have most of the correct features ??
Could well be OK, after all then ??
New/better Pic ,please ???
Cheers !
Steve

Last edited by dragonz18; 16-04-08 at 01:43 AM.
Old 17-04-08, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz18 View Post
F-A-B,
could I please trouble you for a 'clearer & closer' pic of the LRDG badge here , again ?
On making some more recent re-observations here, I feel we are being influenced by some of the other badges on the shell case ? Who knows exactly how & when this lot was put together & then on to the shell case ?
To the badge................
Is the 'G' of LRDG voided? (cannot clearly see here)
Does the top leg touch the rim? (Seems not, that is good ! )
Are the stinger hook & leg touching? ( Ditto )
Well defined 'V' shaped feet? ( Yes ,that is good )Not the silly little stumps ,found on most copies !
Gap or 'V' notch, between pincers? ( Yes, that is good also !) (Bosley's one should have ,but does not seem to ????)
Scorpion body detail needs closer inspection here , but otherwise seems to have most of the correct features ??
Could well be OK, after all then ??
New/better Pic ,please ???
Cheers !
Steve
Steve,
You would not believe how hard it actually is to get a good clear photo of this! However, there's a couple of close ups which slightly blurry as they are, might answer a few of your questions. Looking at it closely and making comparisons, it seems to be pretty much as you describe what it should be like, but it didn't half give me a sore head looking! No doubt even if it is real, having the lugs broken would probably diminish the value considerably. I definitely wouldn't get hung up on the other badges, as there is all sorts on it.
The list of badges on it is:- Royal Artillery (KC) Royal Engineer (GviR), Royal Sussex Regiment, Royal Worcestershire Regiment (Brass with scroll), East Lancs (broken crown), Manchester Regiment (Bus conductors badge), Royal Tanks (KC), LRDG, Royal Rhodesian Regiment, with silver collar dogs (QC), WO1 badge, WO2 RQMS badge, 8th KRIH (broken crown), Natal Royal Artillery grenade badge, Dorsetshire Regiment (bronze), east Surrey, RAOC, Rhodesia shoulder title, Rhodesia (lion cap badge), Rhodesia ASC (QC), Kings African Rifles (QC), Rhodesian Light Infantry (QC), Kings Royal Rifle Corps (KC), higland Light Infantry (KC), Royal Fusiliers (bronze), officers pip, General Service Corps (KC), and a majors or S/sgts brass crown (KC). Not a bad lot for £10 I think!

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges 040.jpg (45.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 038.jpg (32.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 039.jpg (22.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 18-04-08, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

As Peter616 has written a book on SF badges perhaps you should PM him and ask for his comments on the badge? I really like it and it has all the pointers that make me believe that it could well be genuine.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 18-04-08 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 18-04-08, 11:44 AM

Trench art pieces are very nice but it almost breaks your heart to see badges having lugs and sliders cut off to be placed on the shell casings.
Old 20-04-08, 12:18 AM

F-A-B,
from the new pics,though a little fuzzy,can now see all the required details here. Am 95%+ sure it is a real one.
Great buying !
Cheers !
Steve
Old 20-04-08, 07:56 PM
Badge Guru

I see Bosleys had an example listed for 450. Its now sold.

I remember when I used to live it Nottingham, some guy came up to Golding at the very last Arms fair offered him 4 original cap badges at 75 each, one cloth shoulder title for 35. I had chance as well, what a fool eh, but at least I had the pleasure of holding the genuine article.
Old 20-04-08, 08:56 PM

Default LRDG badges

Ah well JJ, you win some, and you lose some! I've taken a closer look at some of the LRDG badges on sale on Ebay, and I must admit that some of them look absolutely horrible. I saw the one for sale at Bosley's and couldn't believe the price. It didn't even stay around for too long.
I just don't see myself ever collecting SF stuff in a serious way.
Old 15-05-08, 05:04 AM

Guys,

Whoever wants closeup scans of genuine LRDG and LRP badges please pm me. I dont want to post high resolution images and photos of the back as it tends to help the faker.

Shaun
Old 24-05-08, 08:54 PM
peter616

Default badges of the Ethiopian Irregulars 1940/41

25 Feb 2007 004.jpg

badges of the Ethiopian Irregulars 1940/41 cast made in white metal /silver

Last edited by peter616; 26-05-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 26-05-08, 09:41 AM

Those Ethiopian badges are FANTASTIC!!!

Any chance of a picture of the backs? What are they made of? Die struck or cast?

Eddie