British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-11, 10:46 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140682 View Post
... i will try and find a first name tommorow and also a place of birth...
Nice one, Martin. We mght be able to find his service records - the very least we can expect is an MIC.

Cheers,

PJ
Old 03-02-11, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampwick View Post
It's very like the 'Tiger' pouch badge for the 17th Foot, though why he'd wear it on his collar is another matter. Another contender is the Leicestershires.
I think it is very much the tiger of the Royal Leicestershire Regiment. 4th Bn (as it is without Hindoostan scroll)
Old 03-02-11, 10:25 PM

Default from martin

hi i have some more details full name ;Richard McKee, d.o.b approx 1856-58, probable birthplace Maybole, Ayreshire. hope this helps. i am finding this all very interesting. although i collect medals myself i will be a regular viewer and hopefully contributor to your forum. on another subject about 30 years ago my uncle was secratery for the KRRC association and gave me 4 cap badges and told me to keep them as they would be worth something one day. is this the case???? kind regards martin
Old 03-02-11, 10:32 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140682 View Post
4 cap badges and told me to keep them as they would be worth something one day. is this the case????
Come on then, Martin... let the dog see the rabbit!
Old 03-02-11, 10:36 PM
Banned

Hi martin,

Hopefully PJ or another with the research facility will be able to offer you further help regarding you enquiry.

With reference to your KRRC badges. There was a recent enquiry from thr KRRC association regarding badges. Please see the following link and links from that thread for more info.

You may find that you have something a bit special (and it may also explain why the association currently don't seem to have a clue). I have tried to contact them offering to help with their research and have some info that they may find useful but no answer as yet.

I for one would welcome pictures of your KRRC badges and I expect I am not alone!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ht=krrc+badges

Yours in anticipation.

Ry
Old 03-02-11, 10:40 PM

Default from martin.

they are in the loft somewhere i will try and get up there as soon as i have some time off work
Old 07-02-11, 10:35 PM

Default from martin

so has anyone had any more ideas on mckees regiment???
Old 07-02-11, 10:59 PM
Banned

Hi Martin,

I'm afraid that I've exhausted my limited knowledge on this one, still a beginner in many ways myself I'm afraid but pleased to have been able to add some suggestions.

You never know what may come in time and obviously all suggsetions are worthy of further investigation where possible.

Given the dates I'm not sure if much info will be turned up from the archive resources available online but never say die.

The best of luck of course in your quest and I hope that you eventually find the answer. There is a forum called The Victorian Wars forum and further enquiry there may be worth a shot.

http://www.victorianwars.com/index.php

Regards
Ry
Old 07-02-11, 11:10 PM
Peter J

Hello Martin,

I’ve looked through the available info and one suggestion I have is that Richard may have married during his time in the army. If so, his regiment MIGHT be recorded on the marriage cert.

I can find only one ‘Richard McKee’ born around the right time, (1856) at Maybole, so I am presuming it is the same man. The 1871 census of Scotland has him listed as a shoemaker, aged 15 years.

One of the members on the Ancestry site also has some info on this man, and records his marriage in 1880 to a ‘Mary E. Abell’, at Stoke Damerel, Devon.

I can confirm that this marriage took place in the September quarter of 1880, which would mean (if we have the right man) that Richard was aged about 24 years, and could well have been a serving soldier at this time.

If nothing else, we have confirmed a Devon connection.

At this stage, this is all I have been able to come up with.

Regards,

PJ
Old 08-02-11, 05:12 PM

Default from martin

thank you for the help. im amazed that you have found so much. i will visit the sites you suggest and will let you know if i come up with anything and will of course photograph my KRRC badges as soon as i get in the loft. regards martin.
Old 25-02-11, 07:00 PM

Default from martin

the mystery is solves, originally he was in the KOSB and then transfered to the GORDON HIGHLANDERS, and from the regimental history it shows that they were in plymouth on the dates when the photos were taken. i have looked at some other old photos on line of old uniforms of the GH and the badge on the collar is the same. so thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction
Old 25-02-11, 09:35 PM
Banned

Excellent stuff Martin,

Very glad that you got to the bottom of your enquiry and I'm pleased to have been able to help.

I don't suppose you've managed to get up into the loft yet?

Kind regards

Ry