British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-14, 06:27 AM

Default ILH (Boer War) nominal roll

Is there anyone who is familiar with the Imperial Light Horse (Boer War) nominal roll who can please give me some advice or assistance.

I am looking for information on 1821 Howard G. His name appears on page 62 of the nominal roll. Unfortunately, with the site that I have found (at the address shown below), I am having trouble with the left hand page. There are a couple of columns on that page that do not seem to have a heading, at least that I can find. In one of the columns is "KCR" and in the next column is another number, "2638" Can anyone tell me to what these notations refer?

There is also a notation in red on the extreme left hand side of that page that appears to be in line with Howard's name and possibly refers to him. I can not bring it up well enough to read it. If anyone familiar with such notations happens to be browsing this site any assistance in interpreting it would be appreciated.

http://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-inf...owall=&start=1

Thankyou

Donny B.
Old 29-06-14, 07:55 AM

George Howard joined the 1st ILH at Pietermaritzburg on the 20th of November 1900 and served with then until discharged on the 3rd of August 1901, the annotation is a reference to the South African Constabulary and Kings clasp required, which refers to his medal entitlement, a brief look at WO100 suggests that he also served in the Australian Commonweath Horse.
The nominal roll is in WO127 and surviving SAMIF papers for the rank and file are in WO126., with the ILH being in WO126/55-65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
Is there anyone who is familiar with the Imperial Light Horse (Boer War) nominal roll who can please give me some advice or assistance.

I am looking for information on 1821 Howard G. His name appears on page 62 of the nominal roll. Unfortunately, with the site that I have found (at the address shown below), I am having trouble with the left hand page. There are a couple of columns on that page that do not seem to have a heading, at least that I can find. In one of the columns is "KCR" and in the next column is another number, "2638" Can anyone tell me to what these notations refer?

There is also a notation in red on the extreme left hand side of that page that appears to be in line with Howard's name and possibly refers to him. I can not bring it up well enough to read it. If anyone familiar with such notations happens to be browsing this site any assistance in interpreting it would be appreciated.

http://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-inf...owall=&start=1

Thankyou

Donny B.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 29-06-14 at 10:30 AM.
Old 29-06-14, 08:15 AM

Thanks, Frank.

Do you think that the reference to the South African Constabulary implies that he may have spent time with them?

Donny B.
Old 29-06-14, 08:34 AM

It is certainly possible, I cannot think of anything else really regarding the "SAC" in red ink, easy enough to check though.

Quote:
Thanks, Frank.

Do you think that the reference to the South African Constabulary implies that he may have spent time with them?

Donny B.
Old 29-06-14, 09:53 AM

I guess I might find information on that through the National Archives and Record Service of South Africa.

Quite frustrating as it seems very very slow to download.

Donny B.
Old 29-06-14, 10:29 AM

SAC service papers are not at the NA, they are at Pretoria and Bloemfontein depending on which division a given man served with, but, the obvious thing to do first would be to look at WO100.

Quote:
I guess I might find information on that through the National Archives and Record Service of South Africa.

Quite frustrating as it seems very very slow to download.

Donny B.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 29-06-14 at 11:46 AM.
Old 29-06-14, 01:08 PM

I must be a bit of a boofhead.

I am not sure what the WO100 is but I typed it in and ended up getting lost in the national archives.

Donny B.
Old 29-06-14, 04:38 PM

Hi Donny

War Office awards roll WO100. You could start at:
http://www.angloboerwar.com/other-in...-african-units

Then you do a search and follow the clues...

Then also:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils?uri=C14308

You need to register for the UK Archives site to access the info they have online.

Regards
Craig
Old 29-06-14, 06:03 PM

SAC QSA/KSA rolls are from memory in volumes WO100/271, 273 and 366, the originals are at Kew, almost all are available via ancestry.
He would of course have to be so entitled to be on any of their rolls.

Quote:
I must be a bit of a boofhead.

I am not sure what the WO100 is but I typed it in and ended up getting lost in the national archives.

Donny B.
Old 30-06-14, 12:12 AM

Thanks guys!

I shall give it another go.

Donny B.