British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-04-20, 12:30 AM

Default Help please!

Hey everyone, I joined this forum after being directed here while trying to get an ID for a find I made. I'm from the US and recently pulled this out of the dirt. Im hoping to get a positive ID on it and an age. I've found lots of information about the "Prince of Wales" heraldic badge on the front, but no other concrete information. Any information would be appreciated! It's made of brass and was found at an early 18th century home here in the states.
Old 18-04-20, 01:48 PM

Hi Yank.

I'm going to suggest that this badge is not military, because of the the fact that it has a circular 'garter' around the outside but no initials or words in said circle, which would be the normal style for a British military badge or button. [Like the one shown below.]

This may be a 'livery button' from the coat of a servant whose master/mistress used the PoW plumes or simply a design which somebody found attractive. It doesn't seem to have the 'Ich Dien' motto which ties the plumes directly to the Prince of Wales, though it's hard to see.

The plumes may just have been copied onto a button or furniture fitting because someone liked them. That did happen.

Peter
Old 18-04-20, 06:43 PM

Yank
Not all military badges buttons carried the motto Ich Dien though I agree does not look military,the fitting to the back is it a screw fitting? Or flattened button loop?

If screw fitting may be off a piece of furniture or horse leather fitting what is the full size mm please many families moved to the US so could Have come over with them.

I have an interest in US civil war items if you have any to show.

Regards

Stephen
Old 18-04-20, 06:50 PM

Just found this on line off a George 3 table very similar
Regards

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 734E1635-618D-41B5-92FD-5AF955F1989A.jpg (64.1 KB, 40 views)