British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-20, 10:09 PM

Default 1917 film by Sam Mendes

I have just watched 1917. From a Militaria collectors viewpoint it is excellent with authentic looking uniforms and equipment. Plenty of Devonshire and other cap badges and battle patches in evidence and the trench scenes seem totally realistic. Worth seeing!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A59965B0-ADDE-48AC-A15D-E52257C28013.jpeg (109.0 KB, 85 views)
Old 11-01-20, 10:46 PM

The Cheshire Regiment. I just been to see the film and behind the captain (Mark Strong) the men were wearing the red X of the 10th Cheshire's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-01-10-12-54-48-1.jpg (54.9 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Mercian; 21-01-20 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
I have just watched 1917. From a Militaria collectors viewpoint it is excellent with authentic looking uniforms and equipment. Plenty of Devonshire and other cap badges and battle patches in evidence and the trench scenes seem totally realistic. Worth seeing!

Tim
I agree. My wife and I saw it last Friday. There seemed to be quite a few badges attached to tin hats.
Tinto
Old 11-01-20, 11:39 PM

Default 1917

Have just returned from Cinema, and well made thankfully, gruesome in places but depiction of authentic looking scenes in no-mans land, bodies in various stages of decomposing and such, killer Rats! see the film to find out!!!

Don't know if I enjoyed getting in as a Senior (noticed this as handing over ticket) am obviously looking older than I think, or in fact looking my age! but I actually think I am a lot, lot younger in my head!
Old 12-01-20, 12:22 PM

Has Taff Gillingham and his crew been involved? Bears their hallmarks of getting it right. If film makers make an effort to make actors move like soldiers, and pretty much look right, good (You know, officers wearing Sam Browne straps over the lapel; WW2/WW1 officers wearing ORs badges in SD sort of thing). I don't fret too much if the leather jerkin's actually/really a WW2 one if it looks the part...

Only wobble I saw in the trailer was having a General addressing a L/Cpl and a Pte. directly. Funny how the chain of command melts away for dramatic purposes (like in A Bridge Too Far, where, to get Caine and Fox together on screen, the Corps Commander directly briefs a battalion commander. Err, Division? Brigade?)
Old 12-01-20, 01:02 PM

Pity about the pristine grass and chalk exposed trench parapets in the 'going over the top' scene though.
Old 12-01-20, 02:57 PM

I'm still waiting to see the film, but I understand that the actors spent six months training before filming to operate authentically as soldiers.

KR,

Pete
Old 12-01-20, 03:50 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I absolutely loved the film.The ‘one take’ filming approach was very cleverly done and the sets were excellent. I would happily watch it again.
Old 12-01-20, 05:19 PM

Co-incidentally today at the Chatham Fair there was a table of props for sale from the 1917 film including rubber Mills Bombs and .303 clips. Behind the table was Andy Robertshaw "who worked as the military adviser with various departments including props, set design, costume, hair and make-up before joining the team on location. Andy’s involvement extended to bandaging the wounded for the final sequence and in quiet moments he gave talks to the extras about what it was like to be a soldier in 1917. As usual, he was able to point out potential historical errors to the director."

Tim
Old 12-01-20, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Co-incidentally today at the Chatham Fair there was a table of props for sale from the 1917 film including rubber Mills Bombs and .303 clips. Behind the table was Andy Robertshaw "who worked as the military adviser with various departments including props, set design, costume, hair and make-up before joining the team on location. Andy’s involvement extended to bandaging the wounded for the final sequence and in quiet moments he gave talks to the extras about what it was like to be a soldier in 1917. As usual, he was able to point out potential historical errors to the director."

Tim
He was advertising some of the props for sale on his Twitter and mentioned he was stalling at Chatham.
Old 12-01-20, 09:51 PM
Administrator

I sold them a bunch of ASC shoulder titles for the movie.
Did you actually get to see any Ally Sloper's Cavalry in the movie?
Old 13-01-20, 01:48 AM

It has finally made it out to the Antipodes! Dragged my poor wife along to see it.

Really liked it, but did think that some bits were a bit too "tidy" (comment re the trenches in the last scenes...)

I did wonder what would happen to the "surplus" from the production. I recall years back seeing a wide range of muskets (yes, muskets!) WW1 & 2 clothing and equipment with "T.C.F" branded on it.

Give up? Twentieth Century Fox!
Old 13-01-20, 03:35 AM

Opened the thread from G G Acorn, thought, that’s a nice thumbnail pic. And immediately spotted a mistake. Not that it might matter in the front line, but don’t let the Seargent Major see it when on parade with full kit!. So what did I spot? Best regards, David J. Blew the picture up to full screen, now I see, I made a mistake, again! I’ll have to stop posting and write 100 lines!

Last edited by Artynut; 13-01-20 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Incorrect assumption.
Old 13-01-20, 04:13 AM

Default Another older film

Looking forward to seeing 1917, all good reports.
Flying across the Pacific today I saw a movie I had never heard of, maybe you have: "They Shall Not Grow Old"
Not sure when it was produced but it was all ORIGINAL footage of WW1 that had been colourised and enhanced to an extent I would not have thought possible. I have never seen most of the footage before, some was very graphic and not recommended for children. You can't disagree with the badges and equipment in this one, well worth seeing if you were not aware of it.
Old 13-01-20, 08:34 AM

That was shown on TV last year and you certainly cannot disagree with the badges and equipment because as you point out it was original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Looking forward to seeing 1917, all good reports.
Flying across the Pacific today I saw a movie I had never heard of, maybe you have: "They Shall Not Grow Old"
Not sure when it was produced but it was all ORIGINAL footage of WW1 that had been colourised and enhanced to an extent I would not have thought possible. I have never seen most of the footage before, some was very graphic and not recommended for children. You can't disagree with the badges and equipment in this one, well worth seeing if you were not aware of it.