British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-06-22, 03:28 PM

Thumbs down White and Gold RN Cap Tally HMS St Vincent

Dear Forum

just acquired this white and Gold ROyal Navy Cap Tally HMS St Vincent I have had the standard patten for some time.

Can anybody tell me the reason for the colour Gold lettering on White Tally and approximate date of use.

Many thanks

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7F2571FF-121A-4A53-A33F-D6A2DF539C81.jpg (41.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-06-22, 04:11 PM

"From the Sublime to the Ridiculous" By Brian (Bill) Haley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St.Vincent.jpg (35.6 KB, 50 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 02-06-22, 04:31 PM

I wonder if in this case, rayon and gold refer to the material used to embroider the name. I have seen many Canadian tallies with rayon or silk embroidery and many RN tallies with the gold wire embroidery, both on the navy blue/black tallies.

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
"From the Sublime to the Ridiculous" By Brian (Bill) Haley

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 02-06-22, 08:25 PM

Mike
That’s great do you have any date for this document please
Regards
Stephen
Old 03-06-22, 08:38 AM

Default White and Gold RN Cap Tally HMS St Vincent

As previously stated the reference to gold wire and rayon refers to the materials used for the lettering and has nothing to do with the colour of the cap ribbon itself. The ribbon was always black. The gold wire tally was used for No. 1 dress and was worn with a uniform with gold wire badges. The rayon (a form of nylon thread - originally silk thread was used) tally was worn with No. 2 dress where the uniform had red badges. A gold and silk/rayon tally continued to be issued to every rating until 1984.

I have a collection of tallies which go back to the late 19th century. I have never seen or found any reference to tallies with a white ribbon apart from those worn by ratings selected for promotion to officers during WWII - and they were plain white without a name.

The style of lettering is also unusual. It doesn't match the style used on any tallies from the 1860s onwards (when tally designs were standardised).

The only other option that I can think of is that it is one of the many variants of cap tallies from the late-19th and early-20th centuries that were designed to be worn with children's sailor suits. Although bearing a genuine ship's name and 'H.M.S.' the tallies were produced in various colours, although predominentlly black, and the ship's name was embroidered in a variety of styles. Sometimes coloured flags (white ensigns or union flags) were also embroidered onto the tally. Usually these tallies bore the name of battleships - and between 1910 and 1922 H.M.S. St. Vincent was a 'St. Vincent' class battleship.

I have no evidence to confirm the identity of your tally either way - i just put the various theories and evidence before you so that you can give them your consideration.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 03-06-22, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Mike
That’s great do you have any date for this document please
Regards
Stephen
The quote I posted refers to the 1960's and after rereading it I agree with the others who suggest it relates to the colour of the lettering rather than the ribbon , sorry !

Here is another from a different source relating to the 1950's :

Quote:
Each boy was issued with two caps, one for everyday wear [with a Rayon cap tally] and a best one [with a gold cap tally], the latter being kept in a metal [rigid] cap box.
http://www.godfreydykes.info/MY_GANG...ITS_MUSTER.htm

I did find a post from another forum that 'may' be relevent :

Quote:
I recently saw on ebay a guy offering for sale 'White' cap tallies with the ships names in various colours...ie light blue, green etc

Last edited by mike_vee; 03-06-22 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-06-22, 09:51 AM

Many thanks for your advice, see attached image from one of my Displays in Stone Staffordshire, this child’s sailor suit belongs to a pall the cap bears the same style of tally which I have just acquired.

Neither of us was sure if this was produced for RN use or children it would now appear to be the latter,

Admiral John Jervis, 1st Earl of St Vincent Came from Meaford Stone hence my interest in the tally.

The forums combined knowledge has again resolved my question.
Many thanks to all

God Save the Queen this glorious Jubilee weekend

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0CE8A380-9614-408B-A852-66A9671A37C5.jpg (65.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-06-22, 10:17 AM

Thumbs up

Excellent !

Old 03-06-22, 03:14 PM

Totally off subject, but when I see a picture like Stephen has posted, what comes to mind - When people ask me why I collect stuff, that one picture says it all!!! That is always so cool to me and the members here have shared some really beautiful displays or collections, and they always bring the same feeling for me.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Terry