British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-08-22, 06:35 PM

Apologies I mistakenly thought you were referring to post #10 in this thread which is coincidentally also by me.

I’d agree with your observation. Sadly Geoff’s front photo is rather low resolution.

The KK pic isn’t the best but there are some possible difference, albeit these may be to do with lighting and shadows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE84D93E-9106-4B58-86AB-A3D29FC9D602.jpg (51.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 508395E4-BD45-45E2-B2C2-B12206823EB3.jpg (64.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-08-22, 03:12 PM

Default 3rd Middlesex RGA Volunteers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have a 3rd Middlesex RGA Volunteers which I had to repair as the loops were missing, as to whether it's an original I am sure people would offer different opinions.

Rob
My mistake, it was the slider that was missing which I replaced, anyway here are pics of my badge . . !

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040235.jpg (81.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg P1040236.jpg (90.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P1040240.jpg (72.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P1040238.jpg (80.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-08-22, 05:10 PM

I think opinions on that one Rob would be universal.
Old 10-08-22, 05:46 PM

Luke, opinions vary with badges, this one I added a new slider as the original was missing, it does not have the large orb and die fault on the right side and I was happy with it.

However, I would be interested in exactly your ideas as to why opinions would be universal?

Rob
Old 13-08-22, 08:27 PM

I’ve never thought opinions varied with slidered Third Middlesex RGA badges.

Every slidered example from this die is found with a modern shaped slider. In this case which has been replaced.

To reverse the question I would be interested in exactly your opinion of what other genuine early TF badges have a reverse that looks anything like that badge Rob?

Last edited by Luke H; 13-08-22 at 08:58 PM.
Old 13-08-22, 09:26 PM

Luke, I don't have too many volunteer/TF badges to compare with the badge I put up, what I do know is that many volunteers were not that fussy about the quality of badges they wore and did convert badges for their use.

The two white metal collar badges that were worn by 3rd VB Suffolk on the right of the shoulder title were converted from a pair of Cambs R.V. on the left hand side simply by bending over the central tower making it a two tower badge to conform with 3rd VB Suffolk's at the time.

This was because I think the badges were not supplied by the government as were the regulars and Volunteers had to provide their own.

I have also seen tablets turned into blanks by various methods, this is not to say my 3rd Middlesex RGA Volunteers badge is an original, but until I get a badge that I think is an improvement I will keep it on my Volunteer board.

Regards Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030485.jpg (72.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 13-08-22, 10:36 PM

I probably have close to a couple hundred Volunteer and early TF badges.

The attached is the modern style of slider which would have originally been present on your badge.

Completely agree that Vols and TF’s would looks to save money, however, the example you use of the turned down turret, you’ll still find the metal, strike and fixings are in keeping with the others of that era.

Tablets turned into blanks as you say by hobbing, these badges still have the fixings and reverse strike, voiding and detail etc. commensurate with their age.

Both methods you mention are to alter an existing die or badge in order to save money. However, in the case of the Third Middlesex they’ve already gone to that expense of making a new die.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBB12BDA-8C20-4DC4-8E7C-A007EE47CBF3.jpg (94.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 06A8FE56-F48C-476D-870D-63983107DC79.jpg (99.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 14-08-22, 05:19 PM

Luke, the badge you have put up with the modern slider is totally different to the one I put up, look at the centre of the wheel hub and your badge has missing pieces bottom left.

Quite why someone would make a new die with extra flaws i do not know.

Rob
Old 14-08-22, 05:50 PM

I'm trying to follow the discussion and I see two badges here from the same tool. The pearls and jewels in the crown, the little X and many other features. Perhaps one should not underestimate that two mintings from the same form can turn out very differently.
After embossing the blank, with more or less pressure, with different sheets of metal, the edges, openings, etc. are also worked on by hand. But I see the decisive features in both badges.
About new produced dies - i collect german orders & decorations, and even such with a value of only some Euros - are faked with complete new dies.

Kind regards
Markus
Old 14-08-22, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Luke, the badge you have put up with the modern slider is totally different to the one I put up, look at the centre of the wheel hub and your badge has missing pieces bottom left.

Quite why someone would make a new die with extra flaws i do not know.

Rob
It’s from the same die as yours Rob. Certainly not ‘totally different’.

The wheel hub shape is due to the voiding, which is different. But the thrust of this thread was to highlight the differences in voiding and finish of badges from this die, which are all shades of poor ranging from not good to all atrocious. Perhaps you’ve misunderstood.

Last edited by Luke H; 14-08-22 at 06:49 PM.
Old 14-08-22, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Bodeux View Post
I'm trying to follow the discussion and I see two badges here from the same tool. The pearls and jewels in the crown, the little X and many other features. Perhaps one should not underestimate that two mintings from the same form can turn out very differently.
After embossing the blank, with more or less pressure, with different sheets of metal, the edges, openings, etc. are also worked on by hand. But I see the decisive features in both badges.
About new produced dies - i collect german orders & decorations, and even such with a value of only some Euros - are faked with complete new dies.

Kind regards
Markus
You are correct Markus.