British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-22, 11:54 AM

Me too!
Old 21-05-22, 07:16 PM

Hello John, Mike and Paul,

Of course, glad to help. U.S. Chute & Dagger is a collector organization founded in 1971 by Harry Pugh. Members receive a quarterly magazine full of great info on parachutist and special forces insignia. The latest issue is #207, June 2022, and Les Hughes’ latest article on the SF wing is on pages 11-14. You can contact Harry Pugh for membership info & to buy back issues: Harry Pugh, P.O. Box 7201, Arlington VA 22207-7201, U.S.A., email harryfp@comcast.net.

Stay well,
Donovan
Old 22-05-22, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castagain View Post

Of course, glad to help. U.S. Chute & Dagger is a collector organization founded in 1971 by Harry Pugh. Members receive a quarterly magazine full of great info on parachutist and special forces insignia. The latest issue is #207, June 2022, and Les Hughes’ latest article on the SF wing is on pages 11-14. You can contact Harry Pugh for membership info & to buy back issues: Harry Pugh, P.O. Box 7201, Arlington VA 22207-7201, U.S.A., email harryfp@comcast.net.

Stay well,
Donovan
Many thanks Donovan - email enquiry sent ...
Old 22-05-22, 03:57 PM

Thank you Donovan!
Old 24-05-22, 04:20 PM

Removed as possible Copyright issue

Last edited by seebee1; 24-05-22 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-06-22, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castagain View Post

Stay well,
Donovan
Sadly no acknowledgement yet, having enquired on 22 May 2022 - hoping my message reached Harry at the email address given ...
Old 07-06-22, 08:12 PM

Lot 295 in Lacy Scott & Knight next auction maybe of interest

Ta
Old 07-06-22, 08:20 PM

I should think if it is will you will have likely annoyed those who had spotted it as it’s not apparent in the main picture or description.
Old 07-06-22, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I should think if it is will you will have likely annoyed those who had spotted it as it’s not apparent in the main picture or description.
And how about those who hadn’t spotted it. Thought as a forum we are supposed to help one and other.

Ta
Old 07-06-22, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKIES View Post
And how about those who hadn’t spotted it. Thought as a forum we are supposed to help one and other.

Ta
I would suspect you’re not doing them all a favour as only one person can win it. Your post in this section can be viewed by anyone with access to the World Wide Web. If I was doing a friend a favour I’d PM then.

Next time I see a sleeper of a Welsh badge you may be interest in on eBay or an auction I’ll be sure to post it on a thread to help you and all those who hadn’t spotted it.
Old 07-06-22, 10:31 PM

Thanks Luke that will be good of you as I have missed a few in the past.

T6 RWF in w/m and T ASC WBMB s/t are high on the list if you notice them.

Ta
Old 08-06-22, 12:15 PM

Thankfully, I think you may have saved someone a few dollars as that's not a wing I'd like in my collection.

Paul
Old 08-06-22, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3battalion View Post
Thankfully, I think you may have saved someone a few dollars as that's not a wing I'd like in my collection.

Paul
I agree Paul - some awful fakes - Nos, 7 and 8 commando - Both did not exist until someone with an overactive imagination, and most probably a devious intent, knocked them up..
CAVEAT EMPTOR
Old 11-06-22, 07:23 PM

This is a wonderful and informative thread on the SF wing. I wanted to add an interesting item to the discussion. Notice where the legendary Tommy Macpherson (Colonel Sir Ronald Thomas Stewart Macpherson) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Macpherson wears an SF wing on his battle-dress tunic. I have never seen an SF wing worn in that place before.
Has anyone seen an SF wing worn like that before? What is also interesting is that I am not certain that he was with the Jedburghs.
Old 12-06-22, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaDave View Post
This is a wonderful and informative thread on the SF wing. I wanted to add an interesting item to the discussion. Notice where the legendary Tommy Macpherson (Colonel Sir Ronald Thomas Stewart Macpherson) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Macpherson wears an SF wing on his battle-dress tunic. I have never seen an SF wing worn in that place before.
Has anyone seen an SF wing worn like that before? What is also interesting is that I am not certain that he was with the Jedburghs.
Hello Dave
You may well already have come across this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behind-Enem.../dp/1845967089
I have mixed views of some accounts in the book, but admire the work Tommy Macpherson did post war for the Commando Association etc. I think it was widely believed he was certainly preparing for work as a Jedburgh - he had been captured in a reconnaissance prior to the 'Rommel Raid' at Beda Littoria so must have been repatriated (or escaped?). I only read extracts of the book.
Regards
Mike