British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-11-14, 12:34 PM

Default Admiralty Ferry Crews

Last year the journal of the Military Heraldry Society The Formation Sign carried an article on the wartime RN Ferry Crews and their post-war successors the Admiralty Ferry Crew Association. A copy of the article is attached.

As Editor I have now been asked if anyone knows what wartime Ferry Crews would have worn as a cap badge. Any ideas please?

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN Ferry Crews Jul 2013 FS 251.jpg (122.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 25-11-14, 01:03 PM

I've recently finished reading a book on the Admiralty Salvage Section which was formed in much the same way as the Ferry service for WW2. It seems they were made to wear RN uniforms but the civilians in the service wore it their own way and paid scant regard for Navy Rules and Regs. My guesstimation is that it would be much the same for the Ferry Service.
Old 25-11-14, 01:24 PM

My guess is that, if it wasn't standard RN cap badges then, they probably didn't wear any at all.
Old 14-12-21, 07:14 PM

Reviving this old thread. This badge is listed as an Admiralty Ferry Crew Association cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211214-191018_eBay.jpg (96.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 15-12-21, 12:41 PM

Interesting.

Where did the identification/listing come from please?

Jon
Old 15-12-21, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Reviving this old thread. This badge is listed as an Admiralty Ferry Crew Association cap badge.
This is currently listed on eBay with a load of similar items. Many of them are wrongly attributed so I would treat the description with some caution.

Dave.
Old 15-12-21, 04:45 PM

Thanks,

Jon
Old 15-12-21, 05:53 PM

I would have been very dubious about the cap badge too, if I hadn't already seen the image below.

This is described as the Burgee of the Admiralty Ferry Crew Association. The source is Lloyd's Register of Yachts, 1960.

The cap badge would not have been worn during the war as the AFCA wasn't formed until post-war. I guess that wartime crews just wore an old duffel coat with battledress and seaboots!

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II

Last edited by Guzzman; 17-12-21 at 07:50 AM.
Old 15-12-21, 07:36 PM

And I know I've posted this before but I'll do it again in case anyone didn't see it and might be interested. It shows the various prototypes for the yellow on grey AFCA breast badge as well as the design finally selected.

All the prototypes have been slashed with a knife following rejection.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II