British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-02-15, 05:29 PM

Default "Original WW2 3rd Anti-Aircraft Division printed cloth formation sign"

Are these original? When a dealer has "10 available" and it looks so new, I just want to be sure. Also don't know if these were reproduced like so many other WWII items.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-W...item339d64a4ff
Old 16-02-15, 05:33 PM

Default printed insignia

I don't like the looks of this flash. Most printed flashes in my experience 'bleed' the pattern through to the back

Raymond
Old 16-02-15, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Gilbert View Post
I don't like the looks of this flash. Most printed flashes in my experience 'bleed' the pattern through to the back

Raymond
I agree with your second sentence. But I have three variations of 3 AA Div that have been in my collection for decades - printed on rather flimsy material, silk weave (and highly detailed) and painted on very stiff, thick material - exactly as illustrated above. In my opinion all three variations are genuine. Several of the AA Div signs are to be found in a wide range of different styles (and that's even before the ATS girls got busy "improving" them with needle and thread).
Old 16-02-15, 05:53 PM

Patch is fine original , it is a `paint printed` formation sign rather that a screen printed in the traditional sence , this is one of the few unit formation signs that used this style of manufacture - not rare but an every day item an a bargain at that price .

The 6th A.A sign offered by the same seller is made in the same way also
Old 16-02-15, 06:32 PM

One of a large group of quite original signs that have recently turned up on the market,

This style of painted sign was a speciality of the London firm Display Patents.

Jon
Old 16-02-15, 11:33 PM

Thanks for all the comments. Guess I need to get me one of those. And then there were nine...
Old 17-02-15, 04:02 AM

Default 3 AA Div

I won't disagree with anyone, but I thought the WW2 printing process was such that the ink was placed on a matrix made of wood, lead or rubber upon which was placed the cloth and extreme pressure exerted, resulting in the design 'bleeding' through to the reverse. This was called a typographic method

It was only post-war that technology allowed the printing that didn't bleed through, using a serigraphy method which used a thick layer of ink. Although this technology was known from the 1930's it wasn't sufficiently developed for commercial printing.

This information came from The Formation Sign No 211, published in September 2003 so there may have been more discovered since then that makes the information obsolete.

The example used in FS 211 is the fake printed 56 Indep Inf Bde FS.

Prior to reading this thread I would have stayed well clear of this AA badge: in fact, I still will.

Stephen
Old 17-02-15, 10:57 AM

Default 3 AA Div

Your decision Stephen and your points are taken, but this particular pattern 3 AA Div and the companion 6 AA Div are genuine signs of the early 1940s. I think they are crudely made and rather unattractive, but as they used to say "there's a war on!". Mike
Old 17-02-15, 02:42 PM

There are numerous examples of WW2 painted type badges where the ink does not bleed through, 43rd and 55th Inf Divs are two, these AA ones are 100%. Some examples are on felt, some on cotton.
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com