British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-02-13, 11:40 AM

Default Unknown Maritime Cap Badges

Hi all, Anyone able to identify the two cap badges below?

Cheers Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown Maritime Badge 1.jpg (33.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown Maritime Badge 2.jpg (50.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 28-02-13, 12:04 PM

I think that the 1st is P&O petty officer(????) and the 2nd is HONG KONG MARITIME (????)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 28-02-13, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
I think that the 1st is P&O petty officer(????) and the 2nd is HONG KONG MARITIME (????)
Hi Jerry, I dont think the first is a P&O Petty Officers cap badge, P&O have the hose flag with coloured quadrants superimposed with an diagonal gold anchor and have a maritime crown not a queens crown! It's the queens crown that has stumped me as otherwise I would have thought it was Saga Cruise Line, but their badge is different and definately does not have a queens crown!

I thought Hong Kong Marine to for the second one but do you know what the Honk Kong Marine was? with the queens crown I assume it must have been a naval/military/government department and not a merchant or commercial service?

Regards Tony
Old 28-02-13, 02:33 PM

The first one is RNLI I think, second one I thought was Hong Kong Marine, not sure who they are though.
Old 28-02-13, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi Jerry, I dont think the first is a P&O Petty Officers cap badge, P&O have the hose flag with coloured quadrants superimposed with an diagonal gold anchor and have a maritime crown not a queens crown! It's the queens crown that has stumped me as otherwise I would have thought it was Saga Cruise Line, but their badge is different and definately does not have a queens crown!

I thought Hong Kong Marine to for the second one but do you know what the Honk Kong Marine was? with the queens crown I assume it must have been a naval/military/government department and not a merchant or commercial service?

Regards Tony
To be honest, I have'nt got a clue on these, I just took a wild guess

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 28-02-13, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
The first one is RNLI I think, second one I thought was Hong Kong Marine, not sure who they are though.
Hi Phil, The first one isn't RNLI! They have 3 versions of cap badge,one for crew, one for Coxswain and one for Marine Mechanic (pictured below) So the mystery continues?

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RNLI Bullion Crew Cap badge.jpg (35.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RNLI Coxswains cap badge.jpg (23.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg RNLI Mechanic cap badge.jpg (41.5 KB, 283 views)
Old 01-03-13, 03:55 AM

Its the first rnli one that i was getting it confused with

Is the hkm badge a possible fantasy badge? I have only seen reference to them on ebay. Google searches only seem to go back to ebay too.

Phil
Old 01-03-13, 10:00 AM

I believe that the HONG KONG MARINE/MARITIME is a type of "TA" that were in HK during the British rule.

JERRY
Old 01-03-13, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
I believe that the HONG KONG MARINE/MARITIME is a type of "TA" that were in HK during the British rule.
Quite possible? I dont think it's anything to do with the Royal Navy Locally Employed Servicemen as I'm sure they wore just standard RN insignia, Pretty sure it's not a commercial Merchant Navy item as the crown is wrong and with the exception of Cunard, I dont know of any Merchant Navy company that uses the queens crown (I know Royal Mail Lines and White star line did, but it was a kings crown and neither now exists as such anymore!) It could well be a govenment department maritime organisation such as customs, coastguard or port authority? I dont think it has anything to do the HK fire brigade or Royal HK Police which although both had/have marine units I'm certain they just wore standard police/fire service insignia.

Some kind of naval reserve/militia or naval/maritime cadet unit? I just have no idea but somehow feel its not a fantasy item!

As for the first one, I think there is an assumption it is British and not a commonwealth item from Australia, New Zealand or Canada (it looks too new to be from Britains other commonwealth territories in Africa, the Caribbean or Aisia as these mostly became independent in the 1950's/60's), once again with the queens crown a government department seems likely and with the rope around the flag it would seem logical (but not certain) that it is a maritime related badge or it could be a yacht/ sailing/boat club, many of which have the title "Royal" though how many are permited to use a crown I dont know? There is a suprising similarity to the RNLI Crew badge even to the point of the same shape to the flag but totally different colours! Just some thoughts but for now it would seem it will remain unidentified!

Last edited by sailorbear; 01-03-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-04-13, 01:08 PM

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=281075270794 it seems this seller has IDed the first badge.

Phil
Old 07-04-13, 11:43 PM

Quote:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=281075270794 it seems this seller has IDed the first badge.

Phil
Link will be gone in a couple of months so for posterity's sake the badge is listed as a BROCKLEBANK LINE MERCHANT SHIPPING CAP BADGE.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 08-04-13, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Phil
Hi Phil thats interesting! Certainly looks like a Brocklebank flag (see image below) but Brocklebank line cap badges were all famously blue (rather than gold as most cap badges were) and I've never seen one with even a maritime crown let alone a queens crown? seems one answer just promotes more questions!

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BROCKLEBANK.jpg (74.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-06-13, 07:50 AM

Default Unidentified Marine Badges

As regards the second, HKM,badge - have a look at www.mardep.gov.hk
which details the Marine Department of the Hong Kong Government,responsible for all aspects of Port Control and has its' own fleet.
The badge is not connected with the Marine District of the Hong Kong Police,which incidentally has more hulls on the water than the Royal Navy.