British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-04-10, 07:57 PM

Default 'Pips'

Hi all.
Given these as a kid but don't know if different Regiments have different style pips ie coloured enamels, could anyone enlighten me?
Thanks Tony.

Last edited by tonyb; 24-08-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 13-04-10, 08:53 PM

Most pips show the Order of the Bath, like yours does. However, the Guards and Household Cavalry have different ones: the Scots Guards show the Order of the Thistle, and the Irish Guards show a shamrock. Not sure if there is an Order of the Shamrock. The Household Cavalry's pips are a different shape and longer. Light Infantry regiments, now The Rifles, use black pips as does the Chaplain's Department.
Old 13-04-10, 09:08 PM

David ,
Thanks for information .
Regards Tony.
Old 13-04-10, 09:13 PM

Ad the princess of wales regiment use something totally different.....

Tm
Old 13-04-10, 09:18 PM
Mr. Jackanory

They are a fine pair. When I was commissioned I went to the local militaria shop in Nottingham and bought a selection of 'pips' for No2 dress, Jumper, shirt in barrack dress etc. and just purchased the nicest ones I could find. No comment was ever made about them.
Amusingly I watched Foyles War on Sunday and was bemused by the grubby unpolished 'pips' worn by the Brigadier. You would expect them to be shiny even if the enamelling had worn over time.
Old 13-04-10, 09:28 PM

Matti,
Thanks very much for compliment, have had them for maybe 35 yrs now, never on display always tucked away in a box, probably a factor to why they look as they do.
Best regards Tony.
Old 14-04-10, 06:31 AM

I think there has been a previous thread on "pips"

The Middlesex Regt and South Wales Borderers both, I think, wore the Eversleigh star rather than the order of the bath stars ( and possibly also worn by their successors )

I was amused to see a single pip recently on E bay being sold as a possible Japanese badge.

The 5th Kings Liverpools adopted blackened stars/pips on battleddress in the 1960`s to show their origins as rifle volunteers.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-04-10, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I think there has been a previous thread on "pips"

The Middlesex Regt and South Wales Borderers both, I think, wore the Eversleigh star rather than the order of the bath stars ( and possibly also worn by their successors )

I was amused to see a single pip recently on E bay being sold as a possible Japanese badge.

The 5th Kings Liverpools adopted blackened stars/pips on battleddress in the 1960`s to show their origins as rifle volunteers.

P.B.
Queens now wear the eversleigh star..... they had no idea what a pip was when I had to buy some for a mate.

Tom
Old 14-04-10, 03:30 PM

Tony, as you know but for the benefit of other Forum Members I have shown a wide variety of stars, crowns and General officers swords and batons in my album, including Guards, Household Cavalry, Rifles and Eversleigh pattern stars.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=498
Old 14-04-10, 06:17 PM

GGA,
I was thinking about an article in the MHS Bulletin about the Eversleigh star which I cannot find at the moment and anyway I think it was accompanied by a line drawing rather than an actual picture.

I will try and find the article,but it would be most interesting if you could post a close up of one of your stars.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-04-10, 06:35 PM
Administrator

what regiment would these belong to chaps?:

Old 14-04-10, 06:48 PM

I have found the reference to the Eversleigh Star in the MHS Bulletin of February 1977,which followed a query in in the Bulletin of May 1976 from the C.O. of the 5th ( Volunteer) Bn,The Queens Regiment who wrote to the Hon. Sec. of the MHS asking who Eversleigh was and how his star came to be adopted by the SWB in 1897 and copied by the Middlesex Regt in 1925

In a letter Major David Pike M.C., says the star was introduced to the Middlesex Regt in 1928/9 and later taken into use by by the SWB.

However it appears neither of the original questions were answered with any clarity.

P.B.

Old 14-04-10, 07:08 PM

Cool Pips

Mike, I think they are Coldstream Guards, but I am not 100% sure, no doubt someone will verify.
Old 14-04-10, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

CG seems likly - No 1 Dress ones?
Old 14-04-10, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I have found the reference to the Eversleigh Star in the MHS Bulletin of February 1977,which followed a query in in the Bulletin of May 1976 from the C.O. of the 5th ( Volunteer) Bn,The Queens Regiment who wrote to the Hon. Sec. of the MHS asking who Eversleigh was and how his star came to be adopted by the SWB in 1897 and copied by the Middlesex Regt in 1925

In a letter Major David Pike M.C., says the star was introduced to the Middlesex Regt in 1928/9 and later taken into use by by the SWB.

However it appears neither of the original questions were answered with any clarity.

P.B.
The eversleigh star appears to be just a different name, the pip itself looks very very similar..... to an ordinary pip.