British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-20, 05:56 AM

Default couple of nursing badges and things

A couple of nursing badges and things covering WW1 and WW2

Cheers Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7570.jpg (72.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7571.jpg (90.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7572.jpg (50.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 13-07-20, 08:28 AM

For those who didn't check out Johns link in Post #8, to the excellent website "New Zealand Military Nursing."

The first 50 Nurses wearing the first 50 badges issued, and their Nominal Roll.

https://www.nzans.org/Nurses%20Who%2...50%20Roll.html

"1914 - 1922 saw 626 nurses and masseuses serve in the NZANS, as well as many women who worked with, but were not members of the NZANS. All the women who were members of the NZANS were attested (sworn to serve for the duration of the war) and issued with Regimental Numbers, whereas the other women were never attested and not issued with a Regimental Number. Their attachement to Military Hospitals was controlled by the Matron-in-Chief who was also the Inspector of Hospitals for the Public Health Department.

When the nurses joined the NZANS they were issued with their NZANS Badge which had engraved on the back their Registered New Zealand Nurse (RNZN) number.

The Rolls for WW1 list those who were attested in the NZANS, civilian nurses and massueses and VADs (Voluntary Aid Detachment) known to have been attached to Military Hospitals. Please note that the Rank of the nurses of the NZANS listed is the Rank held at time of attestation.

Masseuse training in New Zealand began around 1912 and those who passed the course were issued with certificates. Some trained overseas and many nurses of the NZANS serving overseas during WW1 also trained as masseuses. Finally in 1920 New Zealand passed an Act known as the Masseurs Registration Act, 1920. It allowed for those who had passed exams and worked as Massueses prior to the Act being passed to Register.

Upon Registration they were issued with a number and a badge which had their name and number in engraved on the back. Therefore where known their Registration number and date is included in the Rolls with the letter (M) beside their number."

NZANS1st50.jpg
Old 13-07-20, 02:32 PM

Rob, You continue to amaze me with your collection! Very nice indeed!!!

Terry
Old 14-07-20, 01:07 AM

Sorry can't find the WW2 VAD uniform photo, buried deep in my files somewhere.
Attached a couple of scans of the two different WW1 VAD rising sun badges, also another marked Repatriation Hospital, a similar design to the official 'Enlisted in the AIF' lapel badges. Apologies for the poor quality scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSredcross.jpg (36.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RSunVAD.jpg (21.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg rapathospital.jpg (37.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 14-07-20, 02:49 AM

Kingsley,

Very much appreciate the pictures.

I am going to suspect that those VAD badges are pretty scarce! Did they wear them at their throat like the AANS wore the silver rising sun? I have an Australian VAD metal title, which I am guessing they wore with this badge.

My very sincere thanks for sharing!!!

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 14-07-20 at 02:55 AM.
Old 14-07-20, 04:43 AM

Both very rare, worn in very small numbers. The smaller rising sun was worn as a collar badge pair, as shown in Ada Hogg's photo on the AWM website. Her cap badge is an enamel British Red Cross/VAD.
There is another pair of collar badges on a summer weight uniform in the AWM collection which I saw years ago (which told me that they existed). I don't think it is now posted on the website.
I have no info where the the larger rising sun was worn but assume as a cap badge.
The VAD/Australia badge is WW2, not especially scarce. Cap badge is a circle with a maltese cross in the centre, oxidised, King's crown. There is also a red enamel variation. Also enamel lapel badges with different wording like "Third Military District" etc etc.
Old 14-07-20, 04:53 PM

Thank you for the additional info Kingsley! Gives me something to look for, not the rare ones, but the others you describe.

Let me ask a different question. I have been reading the AWM site re nursing and the VAD. It describes the VAD as wearing white metal VAD/Australia metal titles. I have this one, but thought it was brass. Can you tell me what it is? I believe it is a good title, but not sure about the color. (sorry for the fuzzy pictures, my hands do shake a bit)

The AWM also describes a sister's cape as having a curved Australia title. Would that be white metal or brass?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Terry
Old 15-07-20, 05:11 AM

The VAD Australia shoulder title is white metal. There is also a white metal cap badge that is worn with it.

As far as I am aware the curved Australia s/t worn on the shoulder boards of the nurses cape were bronzed like the rank pips. (i.e. same as s/t worn by all Australian units)
Old 15-07-20, 02:46 PM

Excellent, thank you Milmed!!! Makes me have to ask, was the cap badge worn by the VAD the standard rising sun in white metal or a special VAD cap badge. Do you happen to have a picture of it? Thank you again,

Terry
Old 16-07-20, 02:28 AM

Going through old files I found a number of VAD and Nursing images, will have to give up looking for the WW2 VAD uniform picture.
The Maltese Cross VAD cap badge also exists in red enamel.
Better picture of WW1 Repat Nursing Aide badge.
Ada Hogg's cap badge as worn with WW1 rising sun "Australia" collar badges.
?? Don't know what the two star VAD badges are (brass also red enam). The design is very similar to the pre-WW1 AAMC badges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VADset.jpg (53.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg VAD.jpg (74.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg brassVAD.jpg (40.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg VADenamel.jpg (31.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg NursingAideWW1.jpg (94.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg british red cross.jpg (36.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 16-07-20, 10:40 AM

hi kingsley
nice pics, thanks
i think the repat badge is post WW2?
im sure i have a few different versions in my collection. will try and find them
bc
Old 16-07-20, 05:44 PM

Kingsley, AWESOME collection!!!! I am going to guess that many of those items are not easy to come by!

Can you tell me what the VAD with the little round plate at the bottom with a number on it is?

Are most of those items WWI era or both wars?

Thanks again for sharing,

Terry
Old 17-07-20, 12:32 AM

Most of the badges shown in the large lot are WW2, including the round enamel and small numbered discs. I think the latter were worn on the front of the cotton working dress uniform which probably just had the small cloth red cross badges as the only other insignia. Maybe the star ones were the WW1 equivalent worn in Australia. I believe the rising suns with Australia were only worn by Australian VADs in Britain, which is why they are so rare.
I don't know about the Repat Hospital, the design is similar to WW1 Enlisted in the AIF official lapel badges.
Old 17-07-20, 02:44 AM

Thanks Kingsley!!!

Terry
Old 27-07-20, 06:03 AM

There was the Australian VAD, formed England by August 1918 of Australian personnel, with a maximum establishment of 200 women. They wore the badge of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John of Jerusalem, with AUSTRALIA in bronze on the shoulder strap.

Keith