British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-07-08, 12:42 AM

Thanks to all for the feedback re the slider, and to John re the badge itself -- I really wasn't sure that it was genuine. I have a few Loyals badges tucked away which I'll drag out and check the sliders -- terrible how memory starts to fade with old age!
Old 01-07-08, 03:25 AM

It is good to know some sliders came mounted this way. As stated, I had never seen this technique before. I will have to keep my eyes open.

Cheers, Michael
Old 01-07-08, 12:48 PM

I got out my Loyal North Lancs badges (I have 5 covering QVC to QC) and voila!, the post-1920 LOYAL REGIMENT badge had the funny slider. I think I'll start a separate thread on these to see what sorts of comments I get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LNL 001.jpg (97.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg LNL 002.jpg (50.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-07-08, 04:27 PM

DUH ! I just went and pulled my own Loyal badge off my badge board and it has the same slider we have been talkng about. I guess I have seen that style of slider before. Well, they say the mind is the first to go with age. Of course, I have around 700 badges, I suppose I could use that excuse

Cheers, Michael
Old 15-07-08, 09:32 AM
ulsterman

Does anyone have an example of a WW1 period shoulder title or collar badges to the NIH.

Jonny
Old 15-07-08, 11:45 PM

Default NIH Shoulder title

Jonny,
I have only ever seen one shoulder title, that was on a stable belt with numerous badges on it in the RUR museum in Waring Street. I've got a North Of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry one, but never seen any other NIH or SIH ones.

John
Old 18-07-08, 10:39 PM

jonny,

The brass NIH shoulder titles used during the 1stWW are the 3 letters NIH. The only difference between the 1st & 2ndWW brass titles used by the regiment is that the 2ndWW title has full stops between the letters - N.I.H ~
these were worn when the regiment was re-raised, and it wasn't until about 42 or 43 when the 'mudguards' were introduced!

Hope this helps,

tim

B (NIH) Sqn, QOY
Old 20-07-08, 04:36 PM

Default Nih

Folks,
Another important item when discussing North Irish Horse Insignia is the Canadian maple leaf battle honour earned during the battle of the Hitler Line in Italy in WW2. This is worn on the sleeves of ceremonial uniforms, and they are very small indeed. I'll try and obtain a picture sometime soon. I haven't got any myself, but I know someone who has.

John
Old 21-07-08, 09:23 PM
ulsterman

Many thanks Tim, I had imagined they were in a similiar format to the SIH titles, yet I have never seen any for sale as North Irish Horse persay, usually listed as Northumberland Imperial Hussars or something to that effect.

Cheers
jonny
Old 23-07-08, 11:17 PM

Hi Jonny,
...the titles are also to be found in white metal or even chromed (a fairly modern thing)! Under the white metal, it is brass, as is the chromed one. However, saying that, there are white metal ones through and through!
The white metal/chromed ones were worn on the No;1 dress blues on top of the chain mail shoulder protectors. The titles are no longer worn, and haven't been for a very long time.

In junes issue of soldier magazine, there was a column showing different army badges, including the 'maple leaf', of which the author stated that it was worn by the NIH on jumpers and combat shirts - this has never been the case - he was referring to a subdued woven version!
Officers wore a bullion silver maple leaf on both sleeves of the blues jacket, but this was later replaced by the small silver/white metal version, which was sewn onto the jacket. The maple leafs are also worn on the No;2 dress jacket.

The regiment is still adapting to being part of the QOY. We are no longer allowed to wear NIH slip on shoulder titles - we have to wear QOY ones (which are obligatory and they have to be purchased), we no longer wear the NIH cap badge - instead we have to wear the 'scabby dog', we wear the QOY TRF (Tactical Recognition Flash) on the upper right arm, and the colours are those of the QOY stable belt, and we are no longer allowed to wear the NIH stable belt!

However, saying that, i still wear my sldr95 DPM rank slide on my smock which has the NIH letters on! A few of us still do it, as it's our only form of regimental i.d left!

tim
Old 24-07-08, 12:05 AM

That is a real pity. I was against amalgamation from the start. It is almost like the MOD is trying to distance itself from anything Northern Irish as is the British Gov in general. They where happy enough to have the Irish Regiments during war time. Sorry fellas...I will stop before I really get started. It is a sore point with me. Of course they are doing the same with many of the Scots Regiments along with the Gurkha's. Lest we forget.

FGAU

Michael
Old 04-02-09, 06:43 PM

Default North Irish Horse - opinions please!

Hi all,

I have two North Irish Horse cap badges. Both have QEII crowns, are made from white metal and have sliders - unmarked.

The differences between the badges is that one badge has voided strings on the harp and the scroll ends are voided whilst the latter does not.

My query is whether both types of badge where issued and thus both genuine or is one of these a copy and if so which one?

The badge on the left looks so "new" simply because it was in a terrible grubby state when I got it and I had to clean it up.

Any help is appreciated...

Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S8003811.jpg (53.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg S8003813.jpg (45.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 06-02-09, 12:43 PM

Hi chum,
...both capbadges have been worn by the regiment. They've been worn in the normal white metal as your two badges are, and have also been worn as chromed! Chromed badges didn't need as much cleaning!!
The fretted version which is a much later one, was worn by myself in chrome, whilst one of my oppo's wore the one on the left in normal white metal.
The badges were worn alongside the horrendous fretted staybright ones, but being 'private purchase', more durable, and definately longer lasting, we were allowed to wear them until replaced by the Queens Own Yeomanry badge of a running fox/scaby dog!. This badge is issued in bullion for the officers, staybright for the OR's, and some purchase the bi-metal version, as this again is better quality, more durable, and longer lasting!

Hope this helps,

tim

B (NIH) Sqn - QOY

p.s. The NIH bullion officers cap badges for wear on the berets were locally produced by a military tailors shop here in Belfast. You know it's one from here, as the maid has a smile on her face!

Last edited by gwrco; 06-02-09 at 12:47 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-02-09, 12:06 PM

Hi Tim,

Thank-you for the detailed reply!

I am very pleased to know both badges are genuine - I was hoping against hope they were!

I got the voided badge off "evilbay" for a few pounds so am very pleased with that as it will made a nice addition to my NIH collection.

I did not know about the chromed versions so I'll keep an eye out for that one!

Anyhow thanks for the info - very much appreciated!

Sean
Old 07-02-09, 01:04 PM

Default Officer's embroidered badge

Tim

does the attached embroidered badge look OK to you?

I have never been quite certain about it.

thanks

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg off.jpg (88.0 KB, 43 views)

Tags
irish, north irish horse, ulster.