British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-08-20, 10:00 PM

Default RAF Enamel Sqadron badges..list of known examples ?

Hello Folks
Would someone be able to point me at a list of known RAF enamel lapel badges,both King and Queens crown preferably ? (should such a beastie exist)

I'm specifically trying to find out if 21 Maintenance unit ever had a badge produced

T.i.a
Old 15-08-20, 03:26 PM

Hi Magu

I’ve checked with an American friend who collects RAF squadron/station sweetheart brooches/badges, he has checked his collection and doesn’t have one from 21 Maintenance Unit. He does have the following MUs: 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 14, 19, 20, 23, 25, 27, 32, 33, 35, 60, 61, 71, 128, and 431, so believes it likely that 21 MU had one made.

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 15-08-20, 06:16 PM

Thank you for the info Graham

21 MU was the unit at Fauld during WW2 when the explosion happened and if i remember correctly they were still in existence up to the 1960's
Old 16-08-20, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magu View Post
Hello Folks
Would someone be able to point me at a list of known RAF enamel lapel badges,both King and Queens crown preferably ? (should such a beastie exist)

I'm specifically trying to find out if 21 Maintenance unit ever had a badge produced

T.i.a
Try contacting the RAF Heraldry Trust:
"Our aim is to catalogue and preserve the heraldic badges of all RAF units past and present."

When a badge is 'sponsored' a photo goes on the site but it also gives a list of 'unsponsored' units and this includes 21 Maintenance Unit (so they definitely had a badge).

MAINTENANCE UNIT BADGES

Poppy and British Legion Wanted