British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-15, 06:29 PM

Default 1915 On War Service pin

Hello all,

I was at a fair this morning & whilst I didn't pick up any badges, I did buy an all brass 1915 On War Service pin. As he was selling it to me, the dealer mentioned that this type all have a different letter on the back, in addition to the number. However, he didn't mention if there was any significance to this & I neglected to ask, so I have 2 questions if anyone can help.

Firstly, does the letter have any significance &, if so, what?

Secondly, were all 26 letters of the alphabet used or were any omitted?

Cheers

Steve
Old 11-09-15, 02:41 PM

Well, whilst I'm no nearer to any answers, I think I can rule out the only theory that I've been able to find on the subject elsewhere on the internet.

On another forum, in answer to someone else asking a similar question, someone speculated that the letter might relate to the industry that the batch of pins were made for. Given that I've seen at least one other pin online with "X" on the back, I think that theory can be dismissed. I can't imagine xylophone makers being classed as essential for the war effort!

Last edited by Another Bubble; 11-09-15 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-09-15, 03:25 PM

South African War Service badges all have the letters SA on the reverse with the allocated number. I have also seen some with the letter B and presumed that it was to indicate that the recipient came from the UK (Britain).
Old 11-09-15, 03:57 PM

Well the one I have has a "T" on the back. I'm beginning to think that the answers to my original questions have been lost to the mists of time.
Old 11-09-15, 04:41 PM

and I have one with an "A" + a number. I also tried (unsuccessfully) a few years ago to find out the significance. (the badge was amongst my Grandfathers belongings, so I presume it is authentic?)

Cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3556.jpg (54.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3557.jpg (59.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-09-15, 05:23 PM

I'm led to believe that neither the War Service pins nor the 1916 brooch have been faked, at least not yet.

I also have a 1914 pin like yours but with a "D" on the back. Below are pictures of my 1915 pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg On War Service 1915.jpg (52.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00380.jpg (53.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-09-15, 06:59 PM

Well I'm intrigued now, I hope someone finds an answer!
Old 11-09-15, 07:49 PM

I seem to recall being told the serial numbers either do not relate, or maybe they just cannot be traced, to a person - unlike, say, a WW2 Nazi party badge which can be traced to a particular individual by the serial number on the back. Whether the records are lost or the number relates to something totally different, I don't know.

I was trying to find out why my Grandfather had one, given he was 15 in 1914. I suppose he could have 'collected' it. At the time all I could establish is the serial numbers (and letters) don't, or now can't be, traced to an individual.

Sorry, that's not much help!

Cheers, Tim
Old 11-09-15, 07:51 PM

Could it be as simple as that each pin was issued with a unique number letter combo so it could be verified as issued to the wearer, if it needed to be checked? Were't they issued with a certificate as well? And there would be a finite combination of numbers that would fit on the back so necessitating a different letter every so often?
Old 11-09-15, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
I was trying to find out why my Grandfather had one
Did he work in a Dockyard? The one you show is an Admiralty On War service Badge.

Andy
Old 11-09-15, 08:05 PM

As I understand it, the numbers were used to keep track of who had which pin & a certificate was issued so you could prove you were entitled to the badge if asked to do so by a policeman. If a badge owner changed employer or moved to a different job within the same company that wasn't deemed essential, they had to hand in their badge & certificate. These could then be re-issued to a new employee.

I also believe that Chipper is correct when he says that the badge owners can no longer be traced as the documentation no longer exists. I think that the building where they were held was bombed during WW2, but could be wrong.

Additionally, based on information I've read online, the first Admiralty issued badges in 1914 lacked numbers.

I think the suggestion that letters were used to increase the number of combinations is the most likely answer, unless any further information comes to light.
Old 11-09-15, 08:17 PM

Not a bad guess then!
Old 11-09-15, 08:22 PM

It's certainly a plausible theory & a damn sight better than the one I read about them being related to an occupation/trade!
Old 12-09-15, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Did he work in a Dockyard? The one you show is an Admiralty On War service Badge.

Andy
Hi Andy, it's certainly possible, despite his age. He died in 1942 and sadly by the time I got interested in his life, my Grandmother was starting to get dementia, so her memory was very unreliable. I do know that he was 6' tall at age 16, and was very sporty, so given the times, he would have been a target for the 'white feather brigade'. If he wasn't working on the docks, maybe he somehow procured one so he could get around London unmolested?? Just a theory. Might need to open the case file again and see if I can dig up any more info...

Cheers, Tim

Last edited by Chipper; 12-09-15 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-10-15, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
and I have one with an "A" + a number. I also tried (unsuccessfully) a few years ago to find out the significance. (the badge was amongst my Grandfathers belongings, so I presume it is authentic?)

Cheers, Tim
This example is a WWI Admilarty workers laple badge .cheers steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !