British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-12-14, 02:28 PM

Default SOUTH AFRICAN IRISH REGIMENT 100 TODAY

The South African Irish Regiment are celebrating the 100 anniversary of their first formation. So happy birthday to them. Unfortunately it will probably be their last under the current title. As a number of South African regiments are facing an imminent name change. Irish Scottish Transvaal etc, will be dropped from the names. This will also mean being re-badges, and the Irish Regiment losing their hackle, green trousers and black boots. As it is intended to standardize the uniform throughout the whole army.
Old 01-12-14, 05:31 PM

It will be interesting to see what the SANDF comes up with as there are a lot of famous SA regiments which could be affected. It looks like a lot of the new badges will be plastic cr*p.
Thanks for the info though.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 03-12-14, 12:43 PM

The last I heard was that they had asked the Regts to come up with suggestions as names with colonial links and provinces that had undergone name changes would have to change.
With the Natal regts, I'm not sure if eg the Natal Carbineers could become KwaZulu Natal Carbineers?
At the state opening of parliament, they love to parade the Cape Town Highlanders so it will be interesting if they keep the pipe band.

Watch this space!

regards, Iain
Old 03-12-14, 01:37 PM

Default Name Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
The last I heard was that they had asked the Regts to come up with suggestions as names with colonial links and provinces that had undergone name changes would have to change.
With the Natal regts, I'm not sure if eg the Natal Carbineers could become KwaZulu Natal Carbineers?
At the state opening of parliament, they love to parade the Cape Town Highlanders so it will be interesting if they keep the pipe band.

Watch this space!

regards, Iain
I think they will move away from place names. And regiments will be named after people who have played a significant role in South African military history. A number of ANC members names have been mentioned ! The South African Irish Regiment band will certainly continue at least as the association badge.
Old 03-12-14, 05:27 PM

You say some ANC members have been named but so few did anything in their "struggle years;" they sat in London living off donations! However.... to the victor...

The Transvaal Scottish pipe band has also operating as almost an independent unit for a while as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishhorse View Post
I think they will move away from place names. And regiments will be named after people who have played a significant role in South African military history. A number of ANC members names have been mentioned ! The South African Irish Regiment band will certainly continue at least as the association badge.
Old 05-12-14, 08:16 PM

Guys

Yes, I have heard that all Infantry regiments will have ONE badge...lovely!

Typical political moron mentality...take anything that actually works and destroy it! Cannot understand it actually, as even in Shakas army he had different regiments with different colour shields to show individual regiment identities!

Brian
Old 07-12-14, 03:51 PM

LOL, and I thought things were bad here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Guys

Yes, I have heard that all Infantry regiments will have ONE badge...lovely!

Typical political moron mentality...take anything that actually works and destroy it! Cannot understand it actually, as even in Shakas army he had different regiments with different colour shields to show individual regiment identities!

Brian
Old 29-12-14, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishhorse View Post
The South African Irish Regiment are celebrating the 100 anniversary of their first formation. So happy birthday to them. Unfortunately it will probably be their last under the current title. As a number of South African regiments are facing an imminent name change. Irish Scottish Transvaal etc, will be dropped from the names. This will also mean being re-badges, and the Irish Regiment losing their hackle, green trousers and black boots. As it is intended to standardize the uniform throughout the whole army.
Im a Piper in the band.
Old 18-02-15, 12:47 PM

Would it be Simon by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by safpiper View Post
Im a Piper in the band.
Old 21-12-15, 06:20 PM

Default End of Centenary Year.

With the official end of the regiment's centenary year. Thought I would post this medal. Its from the Value Logistics "Ou Voetpad" (old footpath) ten mile run. The Voortrekker Monument Athletic Club, in conjunction with Tshwana University of Technology. Held a run last year celebrating the centenary of the SAIR. The old footpath was a communication path. That had linked a chain of Boer War blockhouses. And at one time been manned by the 2nd Battalion The Leinster Regiment. The medal was given to all finishers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2434.jpg (71.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by irishhorse; 21-12-15 at 06:37 PM.
Old 22-12-15, 07:43 AM

I don't understand why the regiment thinks it is one hundred years old, Colonel Brennan's lads were only around for a matter of months in GWSA before their disbandment, the regiment must claim a link with them despite only really having existed from December 1939.
Notwithstanding, they did well with the 1st South African Division, at their best at Sidi Rezegh, although, they certainly had to pay a rather high price.
Old 22-12-15, 10:56 AM

Please tell me it is not true the kilt is to be replaced with a skirt of monkey tails.
Old 22-12-15, 11:35 AM

Default SAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I don't understand why the regiment thinks it is one hundred years old, Colonel Brennan's lads were only around for a matter of months in GWSA before their disbandment, the regiment must claim a link with them despite only really having existed from December 1939.
Notwithstanding, they did well with the 1st South African Division, at their best at Sidi Rezegh, although, they certainly had to pay a rather high price.
Captain J H Geoffrey was the driving force behind the formation in 1914. And the formation in 1939, a tenuous link.The regiment certinly has not had 100 years continues service.

Last edited by irishhorse; 22-12-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 22-12-15, 12:40 PM

For what it is worth, the unit traces its history from the 1914 unit, indirectly through 9 SAI to deactivation in 1919 and then reactivation in 1939.

Perhaps the involvement of Maj Twomey in the formation of both the WWI and WWII units added some weight to their claims but, however strong or weak the argument, the link to 1914 seems to be officially accepted.

Regards
Craig
Old 22-12-15, 03:56 PM

Default SAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigen View Post
For what it is worth, the unit traces its history from the 1914 unit, indirectly through 9 SAI to deactivation in 1919 and then reactivation in 1939.

Perhaps the involvement of Maj Twomey in the formation of both the WWI and WWII units added some weight to their claims but, however strong or weak the argument, the link to 1914 seems to be officially accepted.

Regards
Craig
The South African Irish were demobilised in July 1915. A number of men joined other units such as the 9th SAI. And 5th SAI which formed an Irish company. Both these units faught in German East Africa. But almost as many joined units destined for the West Front.