British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-11, 12:50 AM

Smile 10th North Lincoln Officers Bullion badge

Hi all,

Wanted to share my latest addition to my Lincolnshire Regiment from Marway Militaria (many thanks Jaime). It is an Officers Bullion forage cap badge for the 10th (North Lincoln) Foot. 65x65mm. I have not taken the Sphinx off but believe it to be silver. Any advice on disturbing the wires attaching it - are these silver and marked?

I believe it dates from 1857 on through to 1881. The Sphinx honour granted in 1802. North Lincoln changing to Lincolnshire in 1881.

I would like to know if a member has access to the 1857 Dress Regulations to see if the description given in that matches my badge. Any other dating information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Will add to Lincs album with another pleasing acquisition of 2nd VB WM Helmet plate, surely not many more to go now! He he, cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lin.7.f.jpg (63.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg lin.7.r.jpg (60.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 21-05-11, 07:58 AM
Banned

Dean - What a little treasure of a badge. There's something about officers' bullion forage cap badges that, in my view, puts them ahead of other headdress badges. I wouldn't touch the pins attaching the sphynx to the body of the badge, nor would I try to clean anthing about the badge - just in case. I sold a Royal Wiltshire Militia example at Bedford recently and a Royal Fusiliers to a French client - the intricacy of the work is superb - true craftsmanshp.
Old 21-05-11, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the comments and advice which I will heed.

I think there is a huge amount of craftsmanship in these indeed. The Sphinx badge at the bottom just caps it off for me. I have a Manchesters in my album and it is much simpler than this.

A happy collector, cheers Dean.
Old 21-05-11, 01:20 PM

Default Offs 10th Foot forage cap badge

Hi Dean
As David has said "..what a little treasure.." a superb badge and an excellent "find".
However, as far as the metal sphinx attachment is concerned, it looks like this was an unofficial fixture...tho' personally I would not remove it as it is by no means "out of place" and in all probability was a regimental prerogative.
Attached, please find the appropriate pages from the 1857 and 1861 "Dress Regs". Regards Jeff

Dress Regs 1857 extract.jpg Dress Regs 1861 exracts.jpg
Old 21-05-11, 01:35 PM

Default Dress Regs more info

Hi again Dean
Reference to the 10th Foot Offs forage cap badge is in fact specifically mentioned in the 1874 Dress Regs attached. Looks like your badge is fully "Kosha" after all ! Hope this is of interest. Jeff

Dress Regs 1874 extracts.jpg
Old 21-05-11, 10:58 PM

Smile

Thank you ever so much Jeff,

How terrific to have a specific reference to the badge in Dress Regulations.

I am as pleased as Punch, huge thank you for pulling these out for me - wow, cheers Dean.
Old 22-05-11, 07:43 AM

Default Dress Regs

Hi Dean. No problem. As a matter of interest, there is a full run of "Dress Regs" reprints from 1822 to 1894 available from DP&G Publishing (you can find them on the Web), and also there are DRs for 1900, 1904, & 1911 available from other sources as well..eg "Your old Books & Maps" also on the Web. Regards Jeff
Old 22-05-11, 09:06 AM

Thanks Jeff,

Will look for the DR's as think I am going to need them as my collecting intensifies, I presume the references were just to Officers bullion badges and that OR's and regular metal badges are dealt with in other sections? all the best, Dean.
Old 23-05-11, 01:40 PM

Hi Dean. Sorry for the delay in replying but I have not been too well of late.
Yes, you are perfectly correct in thinking that "Dress Regs" only refer to Officers, and in any case these always seem to have been one step behind actual practice and not always strictly adhered to.
As far as ORs dress and badges, regulations re these are even more obscure and complex :
There are of course the Army Clothing Department (ACD) records, viz WO 359, but these only date from 1857 and again are not complete in every detail.
I can't say I know of any published extracts from these which are readily available except those which have appeared on the forum from time to time by members such as KLR. The original manuscripts are kept in the National Archives at Kew so of course are only available to those who have easy access (which I'm afraid doesn't include me any more).
Other sources that are even more remote include the various "General Orders" and "Memorandum" for the various dates concerned. The surviving originals for these are well scattered and hidden in the numerous WO files and letters in the NA and elsewhere (eg Regimental Museums) and are very difficult to locate, except those you see in the various Military Historical Journals occasionally after some "boffin" has published their research. However, for someone like yourself, I think this forum is as good a place as any to make your specific queries. Regards Jeff
Old 24-05-11, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the additional and as ever informative information Jeff and very sorry to hear that you have not been very well of late.

I very much appreciate the time you have taken to convey to me some really key information and the free spirit to which you have responded.

All the very best a better informed collector and Forum member, Dean.
Old 27-05-11, 06:59 AM

Default Jumbo

A great badge Dean - for those who have not seen it, photography does not do it justice
Jumbo
Old 29-05-11, 11:28 AM

Thanks Peter (aka Jumbo),

Appreciate the first hand opinion on a classic badge, cheers Dean.

Tags
lincolnshire regiment