British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-13, 10:13 AM
Former Member

Default A Question for the Royal Marines Collectors - RMLI Glengarry

Shown below is what I'm quite sure is two out of the three parts of a c.1870-98 (KK 1094) Gilding-metal Glengarry Badge. My questions is; could this have been worn in the configuration shown (?) without the central globe device! As although the two parts separate, they appear to have been nestled together for quite some time and may have been worn like this on some form of headdress?

Thoughts please?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1003.jpg (79.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1004.jpg (74.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1005.jpg (94.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-08-13, 02:09 PM

Andy

I've never seen any reference to this as an official badge and have never seen pictures of it being worn, I have seen them appear on ebay a few times but the two pieces have been fixed together, the lugs removed and they have had a brooch fastener. I've attached a couple of pictures of the one I have but I have always assumed it was a type of sweetheart badge and that is what I have it labelled as. Looking at yours and the fact it still has all of it's lugs I would guess that the 2 parts have been put together like that just to keep them together, it would have been a bit awkward wearing it like that with all those lugs if it was intended as a sweetheart. I have a few of the bugle horns and wreaths but am missing the globes, they are always the hardest parts to find.

Paddy
Old 02-08-13, 02:18 PM
Former Member

Paddy,
I've seen plenty of similar badges mounted onto this type of wreath, quite often with a collar badges fitted. I doubt they were for sweetheart use, as many are quite heafty items and hence the sturdy brooch fasteners! The one I show had not been taken apart for sometime as there was plent of "the sands of time" between the two parts! Having now seen your example only strengthens my thoughts that this was a contemporary modification, possibly for pagri fitment? Wearing would not be awkward as the lugs of the bugle sit neatly inside the recess of the wreath, perhaps your example is a better conversion?

Thanks for the response!

Andy