British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-10, 05:00 PM
Former Member

Default Royal Marines Officer - Cap or Collar?

Gentlemen,
is this SUPERB "Ludlows" Silver and Gilt badge a Cap that is missing a crown or a collar?

2nd question - If it is a cap badge and you have a crown to match, could you please PM me!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2925.jpg (49.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2926.jpg (61.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 30-03-10, 09:31 PM

Andy

IMHO I think it could be either. I know there is a train of thought that the officer's cap badge has to have longer lugs but I have 5 of these silver & gilt badges, 3 of which are stamped JR Gaunt London, 1 of an identical construction but unmarked and one which is more die struck but which came as part of a QC officer's cap badge. 4 of the badges are 38mm wide by 32mm tall and the 5th is 39mm wide by 32mm tall. 3 have 9mm lugs, 1 has 10mm lugs and the die struck version has 12.5mm lugs (is it a modern thing to have longer lugs??). I have a few staybrite silver & gold cap badges (Firmin, LB&B, Toye) and they are all 39mm by 33mm with 12mm lugs.

Personally I would be happy to pair it up with a King's Crown & Lion and call it a cap badge.

I have a few of the KC Lion but you can't have them (I'm already using them, sorry)

Paddy