British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-08-18, 06:31 AM

PM sent yesterday. Keith
Old 20-08-18, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_jones View Post
Hi Rob,

The details are:
Frame number: WM20 105948
Engine number: WM20 97394
Census Number: C5546648

It only came back to Britain last year, I think it was in the Netherlands, possibly since the end of the war.
Hi Jesus

I have searched all the numbers even the original "C" census number from the engine number and it hasn't appeared, there were 22,463 BSA M20s still listed in the key cards after the post war registration system came in in the late 1940s, with the last ones were still being disposed of into the 1970s. The key cards appear to have been compiled from census returns from every unit and depot around the world and its clear that in many cases any old number would do on some of these returns so it could still be in there somewhere but its unlikely to be found.

Here is a rear tail section in my possession, the steel contract plate dates this to later war but the marking could have been painted on at any time.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image8.jpg (84.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 20-08-18, 02:18 PM

Thanks for searching Rob, much appreciated.
That is an intriguing piece of tin also! any other history on it?

::::::

After Keith kindly messaged me, I started piecing together the info from here and another forum, focusing on the 21st Anti-tank which made up the Guards Armoured.

They had Q, Y, Z & 2nd Batteries. That could account for the 'Y'.
Anti-tank used: G, H and I troops in their 3rd batteries. The bike is labelled as '3rd battery'
So that could account for the 'H' as a troop number after all! This avenue looks promising.

I need to find some Tac markings for anti-tank vehicles, which are quite rare on a google image search.
And as much info as possible on the 21st a/tk
Old 20-08-18, 02:38 PM

Nether of your letters (Y & H) appear in a 1944 AtTk Regt RA., list of vehicles, the letter H was for a Gun.

Marc
Old 20-08-18, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Nether of your letters (Y & H) appear in a 1944 AtTk Regt RA., list of vehicles, the letter H was for a Gun.

Marc
Hi Marc, that's true. Hence wondering if the Y is battery related and H just a troop designation. 3rd battery on A/tk has a H. But I need some evidence.

I have just seen that the desert rats used H for troop, with a H for sub-section - but I don't know which means which or if it's even applicable. But it turned up in a search.
The text below the photo's also says 'H' for troop in the sign, isn't normal. The Sexton belonged to 'CC' battery which was in the 2nd battery and is on the side.
http://www.desertrats.org.uk/artefacts2.htm

And also

Command post officers vehicle (some vehicles had a gothic M on them too, any ideas?)

Probably not relevant for this, but it's only thing that returned on search, looking for troop tac signs.
Old 20-08-18, 04:59 PM

The RHA have all ways been "a law unto their own", regardless of regulations.
The M is probable for M Battery.

Marc
Old 30-08-18, 08:30 PM

So the bike arrived with me today and I was immediately drawn to the 'Y' symbol on the front:

The base colour appears to be a desert brown shade. I cannot find any other evidence of this colour on any other section of the bike at all.
It then looks to have had a layer of dark blue and then red - to make the guards armoured shield - or part of it.

The sandy brown colour and the letter Y is related to the 5th infantry division?
The wikipedia states they were transferred to the western front in March 1945.
Supported by the 6th Guards armoured brigade, they invaded Germany.

So I am now more confused. Artillery markings and possible link to the 5th inf.
Any thoughts?