British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-20, 08:21 PM

Default Para wings with horizontal stitching

I recently came across this set of parachutist's wings.

It has horizontal stitching on the wings, which I have understood as being characteristic of wartime-produced wings, whereas this is an apparently modern set of wings sewn onto a modern Army jumper.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200903_142626.jpg (101.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200903_142622.jpg (117.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-09-20, 10:29 PM

Doug, horizontal stitching or embroidery of the feathering on the wings is not an absolute rule. I would say most of the wartime wings have it but angled stitching can be found on private purchase examples as well. Conversely, several post war examples have the horizontal characteristic. The profile of wings on your example is definitely modern (pointy canopy).
Old 04-09-20, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
Doug, horizontal stitching or embroidery of the feathering on the wings is not an absolute rule. I would say most of the wartime wings have it but angled stitching can be found on private purchase examples as well. Conversely, several post war examples have the horizontal characteristic. The profile of wings on your example is definitely modern (pointy canopy).
Yes indeed, the wings otherwise look to be of modern manufacture.

I was just intrigued, as I have only come across vertical/diagonal stitching of feathers on modern wings before (and horizontal on wartime wings), so wondered how prevalent the horizontal stitching is on modern wings.
Old 06-09-20, 06:24 PM

I believe horizontal stitching is not common on modern wings. A few examples can be seen in Oliver Lock's book. He claims that wings were produced with horizontal weave until at least the mid 1960s. I have attached a similar example from my collection which I think is from that era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modern Horizontal Stitches Combo.jpg (86.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-09-20, 07:08 PM

Are both these wings modern copies trying to look like wartime wings, the bumpy upper wing feathers and fat basket are typical of such, or so I was told previously, I have one that came on a 50's bd.

Jerry
Old 07-09-20, 11:05 PM

Could very well be, Jerry.
Honestly, dating para badges besides the standard types is almost impossible without provenance as so many private purchase variants were issued in the 40s and 50s.
I wouldn't be so sure that bumpy upper wing feathers and fat basket are clear indications of modern copies though.
As an example see the photo (unfortunately not very clear) of the wings of Lt Col Luard (13th Para Bn) receiving his DSO from Monty in Apr 1945 (source IWM): they look quite bumpy with a fat basket to me!
Old 08-09-20, 08:06 AM

Plenty of private purchase examples used and worn in the 80s, 90s and 00s too. More so, more recently - I never wore my wings on anything DPM until well after 9/11 when the commando mudguards starting being worn on combat gear...